Wednesday, August 4, 2010

To The Beach We Go..........

Hubz and I are travelling Northwards for a week.  It is time Hubz had a break from work and friends of ours are celebrating 50 years of marriage... a golden couple - so we are combining the two and going to explore some of North Queensland......... it will be warmer than here so I am packing the summer clothes!

I am giving them the Natalie Lymer Bird of Hope stitchery which I set with a golden yellow border and framed on a canvas.  I hope they like it!


In the meantime I am showing some of the lovely little home made stitcheries that I made into comforter quilts for my two grandsons over in the UK. 

The patches were stitched by a group of ladies living with HIV/AIDS in Zimbabwe - and a friend gave me a 20 different pictures as a farewell gift (I had spent several years working with them in the HIV/AIDS organisation). 








I think they are so beautiful............ I had the patches in my cupboard for ages as we didn't come over with a sewing machine. In 2009 the taxman was kind to us and I bought my little 'precious' so I could get into quilting (no-one warned me about that addiction either!!!) - these were the first things I made...... two comforter quilts.......




Apologies for the poor quality pictures...... There is lots I would do differently now I have learnt a bit more but they are well loved by the boys and each of them have completely different pictures on them even if the design is the same.

Dawn is starting a very pretty BOM called:


go HERE to see the first one and download her free pattern and these can be ready for Christmas .....  Thanks Dawn - it is beautiful
Until next time.......

Hugz

9 comments:

Penny said...

Lucky grandsons! The quilts are totally stitched with love :)

Jennifer said...

Wonderful embroideries, and don't they look great made into quilts!

marina said...

Those embroideries are really great. Perfect for a little boys quilt.
Have a lovely trip!
I am sure your friends will like their handmade gift. It is lovely.

Sue said...

You've done a wonderful job turning those gorgeous stitched blocks into quilts for your grandsons. Lucky boys.

Crowing Moon said...

The quilts are great and I'm sure your friends will love the stitchery...its beautiful

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

The quilt looks fantastic Fiona.....and your stitchery is very cute...

Sheila said...

Love your little stitchery ,so cute and the fabrics are sweet. The stitcheries from Zimbabwe are incredible , the colors are so bright and cheerful and the quilts are a perfect way to have them on display but also loved by the boys !~

Cubby House Crafts said...

Love your stitchery canvas!
Enjoy your trip!
Lisa ʚϊɞ

Judith Tetley said...

Beautiful embroideries darling...yours as well! Love the way you have collated the special ones into a quilt. Enjoy your break!
Hugs..from Judith
http://creativestudio10.blogspot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>