Thursday, October 10, 2019

A busy week .....


Since buying my sashing last weekend I got all enthusiastic and sewed some more of my sisters....

These are all the colours/fabrics I am using and I think I have about 3 of each which will make a good size quilt.  I have more fabric so if I need to make a couple more that will be okay.

I will need to lay them out and then work on the sashings… 


Hubz and I worked on the fernery a bit.  He has one area which we are trying to do more orchids and they need more protection.  We noticed how they struggled on the very cold, and the very hot days as the wind goes right through the tunnel created by the structure.

We had a long weekend here (celebrating the Queens birthday) so extra time to play


We bought two pieces of slatted timber and placed them up one side.... and a couple of shelves on the other side.... 


Then covered the one side with shadecloth (we had plenty left over from when we did the top).  Can you see my fat Hoya buds at the top.... 


Then we put up this log and wired it up nice and firm - it's resting on another short log on the right...
Our piece of art!


.. and covered it with elkhorn ferns (a friend kindly gave us a big bunch of these and we have been able to cut lots off).  When they grow it will look lovely and we will stick a few plants on the other blank spaces in due course.... 


The protected orchid space is on the other side … and this side, which will catch the breeze is our little spot for sitting and enjoying the shade and cool. 

I love it....


Whilst backwards and forwards to hardware store to get supplies I finished another Little Penguin jumper.... now there are three! 


These are knitted in pure wool so can be used on the penguins that need some extra help for a while.

This weeks playtime in the sewing room has been spent finishing up the Bloom quilt blocks 



They are all prepped up now and ready for sewing.... not sure when I will do that (I have a retreat day in November so that might be the day!)  I will be doing machine blanket stitch. 


The Bloom blocks quilt was designed by Lori Holt at Bee in my Bonnet

Evening sewing continues to be the stitching for Les Courtiers.  8  of the same so they are taking a bit of time.... 


Righto, coffee time and I think I will go and sit in my special spot outside and check on the orchids and the Hoya...

My new Hoya I got from Sue earlier this year (came in the post!)  has had it's winter hibernation and there are lovely new shoots growing... I wonder how long till I get a flower off this one...


Have a lovely rest of the week... doing something you love

18 comments:

Jeanette said...

The fernery looks wonderful. Love the elkhorns along the log. Sisters & blooms look lovely. Hugs, xx

Raewyn said...

Great to see your Sisters blocks Fiona - nice to see a couple in the same fabric as I have! The orchid/fernery area looks good - obviously well thought out and how cool that you've been able to create a little backdrop to your sitting spot. I love your Blooms blocks - well done on getting them all prepped; once you get to it, I'm sure you'll whizz through the blanket stitch in no time. Cute little penguin jumpers, something good to do with leftover wool.

Michelle Ridgway said...

LOVE Sisters! They look so good! Gee the fernery is looking wonderful and the Elks look perfect there and will do so well. Bloom is going to be one beautiful quilt. Great work on the penguins jumpers xx

WoolenSails said...

I love the sisters quilt, what a wonderful way to showcase fabrics.
Your gardens are coming along beautifully, a nice place to relax.

Debbie

Jane said...

The fernery has come such a long way! Having that log has given it such a natural look too, no wonder it's a favourite place to sit

Karen's Korner said...

A busy week is right. Love the new garden area. Good progress with the sisters.

Sheila said...

Your special little fernery area is lovely and your bloom blocks are precious . Hugs

Jennifer said...

Your fernery is a great outdoor room now! Bloom is a fun quilt - love those way-out flowers.

Lin said...

Your fernery sitting are looks lovely - great idea with the log, a perfect place to sit. Lots of nice stitching going on too. xx

Sue SA said...

Fernery looks great with the additional partition and the stag horns, what a great gift! Bloom bocks are lovely and i am tempted each time i see them, but African ladies are my favorites.

kiwikid said...

Love Love, love your Sisters 😁 can't wait to see them with washing. Wow the fernery is looking wonderful, the log and sheltered area looks great so good you have the stag horns, a fantastic gift. Your bloom blocks look wonderful, as Raewyn says I am sure you will zip through those on your sewing retreat. I hope that hoya fires up for you and produces some flowers.

Louise said...

Your fernery is so inviting! And I'm loving how the Bloom blocks are looking. Almost makes me want to do applique! Almost :)

Chantal said...

I am so jealous of your fernery. I wish I could make something similar here, but alas, we have Winter to deal with here. I don't think the top of the fernery would survive our winters. But a girl can dream, right? Your stitchery blocks are wonderful. Enjoy! ;^)

Maria said...

The Fernery is looking fabulous and I like the elkhorns on the log...
Loving your Sisters and BlooMs..

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona love your sister blocks and wow absolutely in love with your bloom blocks,you must have some beautiful quilts at home.
What a beautiful place your fernery is,Dave is very clever,love your log sculpture it looks fantastic with ferns on it,hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend xx

Joy McD said...

Oooh! Love your fernery! It looks sooo cozy and yes, a lovely piece of art!! xx

Karen S said...

Lovely progress outside in the fern area. The log looks great. You have created a delightful area.
You have been so busy with your blocks. Great work with all the preparation. It takes a lot of time but does make it enjoyable when you can later simply sit and sew.

KaHolly said...

Busy, indeed! Wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>