Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It's Tuesday Treasure day

.... and the lovely Melody from The House on the Side of the Hill is hosting a link up HERE so we can share what we are treasuring today....

When we immigrated (almost 9 years ago now) we weren't able to bring much with us and my criteria for deciding was that anything 'replaceable' would not be brought.... we ended up with one crate - I think it was 1.6 cubic metres.....  this was a few precious pieces of furniture crammed with some pictures and other special ornaments etc.... you can actually fit a fair bit in ...

Anyway.... this chest came with us.... (it was always called a kist in our home).  This was a gift from my Pop (grandfather) when I got married... I don't know how old it is but I do remember it in my Pops' home when I was a itty bitty sweet little thing..... (and I have now matured......)


lovely decorative brass hinges.....


... what a beautiful lock (no key)
the picture is not that clear but there is lovely markings


the sides have decorative corners and handles.....


we keep it full of those board games, and cd's... and things we don't use too often....


most of the time I have a few of my more recent treasures scattered on the top.....


One day I want to fill it with quilts.............

Righto... I'm off to Melody's to look at other treasures....

24 comments:

Allie said...

Fiona that is just gorgeous - so glad you could bring it with you! YES fill it with quilts!

DeeDee said...

what a lovely treasure... beautiful

Serenata said...

That is indeed a wonderful Treasure Chest. Gorgeous detail and lovely wood, very special indeed.

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a wonderful piece. I am so glad you got to bring it with you especially because of the connection to your Grandad. The lock and hinges are really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Bev C said...

Hello Fiona,

A stunning piece of furniture. Love all the detail. I am sure it will soon be full of quilty treasures.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Melody said...

I'm so glad you brought this with you. It is beautiful and I think it is important to preserve that family history. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely chest Fiona lol,i mean wooden one,lol,sorry couldnt resist that joke.lots of memories and will properly be passed on to your children as well maybe stick a note about the history underneath

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Now that is a real treasure Bubz..

Susan said...

The brass fittings really finish off your beautiful chest! Glad you didn't leave it behind!

Marilyn said...

As Peg said - a real treasure. It is beautiful.

rosie said...

Absolutely beautiful Fiona, a family heirloom. What a hard decision, what to take...

Cheryll said...

The chest is just beautiful. You have a hard time finding beauties like that nowadays! Love this treasure! :)

marina said...

what a gorgeous chest. I could imagine it full of quilts! You would have to leave the lid up though.

Valspierssews said...

What a wonderful chest. Perfect for treasured quilts.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh my gosh is that ever gorgeous!! The lock is beautiful. You don't find many beautiful pieces like that anymore. A wonderful treasure.
xx, shell

Sheila said...

Just beautiful , a treasure indeed and I am so glad it was one of the things you brought with you , I love it .It must have been difficult to decide what to take and what to leave . hugs Sheila

Miss Hillbilly said...

It is beautiful...it will be perfect for quilts!

Chrissie said...

A beautiful piece of furniture filled with happy memories, even more of a treasure trove to be filled with lovely quilts

Cyndi said...

Oh my gosh, that chest is absolutely gorgeous, Fiona... I can definitely see why that HAD to come with you! Did your Pop make it himself? It's so sad that chests like that one are not made any more... and to fill it with quilts one day would be ideal!
Thanks so much for sharing your treasure!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Kim B said...

That chest is absolutely gorgeous! I am sure it is a treasure to you. Hope you have a great day! Hugs, Kim

Wonky Girl said...

Lovely piece, well worth putting in the crate to bring with you for sure.

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful piece and certainly a treasure to keep and pass down to your children.

Debbie

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing what you can cram into a tight space? I always think so whenever we move.

This chest certainly is something to be treasured especially since you've known it for so long. Such pretty metal details on it, Fiona!

Talin's Corner said...

I love the hinges/latches on your chest. It is beautiful, I hope you will fill it with quilts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>