Thursday, August 10, 2023

Second week of August

Last month my friend Michelle had a birthday - (I forgot to take pictures in my haste to get a parcel to the PO in time - so I have pinched from Michelle)

This sweet sewing bag and needlecase is an Anni Downs design, both Michelle and I are big fans of AD and often sew something of hers together (we are both doing Gossip in the Garden presently)

I also found her a new spool made by a local woodworker - M loves making beautiful scrolls full of stitching ...


She also loves books and carnations and I found this sweet bookmark in a copy of Inspirations.  I am a learner cross stitcher but she understands any errors in there because of my L plates....

There was also an assortment of charms and bits to play with on slow stitching....


Happy Happy Birthday special friend.....

Wattle season has begun in earnest - my nasal passage has confirmed it... and our little tree is looking splendid.....

Any travelling around is gorgeous too with bursts of different tones of yellow dotted around the bush.


On Tuesday with the girls I had a lesson in broomstick crochet...  you can see there are two different sizes as I was experimenting ....  it will be easier to do with a non pointy 'broomstick' so a friends husband is going to craft some in different sizes to try out.....

A bit of fun .....


The broomstick crochet was a distraction from what I had meant to sew, but now I have done this next block for Gossip....


Machine sewing with friends on Wednesday got me working on the strip blocks I had started..... I got them all sewn but now I need to make a big mess trimming all the sides....


I have finally completed my little whitework project.  I had to sew the little bridges for the cord and make the cord... there is supposed to be lovely little tassles on the cord but it's staying like this....

It will be included in the Embroidery Exhibition next month - as a sample for learners/new members.  Not all of us are as skilled or experienced as some of the members so hopefully it will help encourage others to join and see what we can learn.

They only have an exhibition every second year and the quality of work is amazing.... it is my favourite exhibition.  This will be my first year of including anything.

I am also displaying 3 quilts which are predominantly embroidered blocks....


Righto, Gotto Go..... those blocks aren't going to trim themselves....

Have a lovely weekend...


8 comments:

kiwikid said...

Feels great to be trimming the blocks doesn't it! Beautiful present for Michelle. We have the wattle happening here too. Lovely Gossip block, wonderful embroidered pouch.

Susan said...

The white work turned out very well - what a sweet bag! String blocks do use some leftovers - but then you create more when you trim them. Love the colour of your crochet. Your cross stitch worked out well considering it is your first time.

Chantal said...

You made some lovely presents for your friend's special day. So thoughtful too. I bought some fat knitting needles just to make a broomstick crochet scarf years ago. (I had forgotten about that project.) I watched the video over and over but I couldn't get the hang of it. She makes it look so easy that I thought I could do it. Nope! It's now lingering somewhere in my sewing room. Having someone to teach you will definitely help ... and I will watch. I'm in love with your white work pouch. You did an excellent job on this first-time project. Will you do more? Enjoy! ;^)

Jeanna said...

You put together a beautiful birthday gift for Michelle. I've never heard of broomstick crochet but I love the look ofr your little piece in that pretty color yarn.

Jeanette said...

Beautiful gift for Michelle. Your broomstick crochet looks interesting. I knitted a vest once using needles about that thick but much longer. Love the
whitework bag.

Lin said...

Perfect gifts for Michelle, just lovely. Pretty crochet, I have not tried that. Your whitework bag does look lovely, a great first project. xx

Ondrea said...

I used to do broomstick knitting on hand made wooden needles made for me by a friend but I have never heard of broomstick crochet. Interesting. Gorgeous gifts for Michelle and your crosstitch looks lovely. Well done! Lots of projects as always.

marina said...

your white work looks amazing, well done.
love your Gossip block and Michelle's gifties are gorgeous.
your broomstick crochet looks interesting, I prefer to just ride around on mine lol
Lots of wattle blooming here as well. beautiful pops of yellow everywhere.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>