Thursday, August 31, 2023

End of August .....

this is the corner at our house....

we planted the tree you can see in the front corner and the wisteria behind it was our first planting....


this year (after 8 years) it is at it's finest we have seen it....
(brown grass = no rain)


smothered in glorious scented lilac....


.... and buzzing with lots of happy bees....


this week I finished off these two special quilts....


very open quilting


thick plush minky blanket on the back (no extra wadding)


two the same but different....


for two grandiegirls....


and made from their mum and dad's old shirts....


I found it impossible to get good quilting with the thick blanket, and the sides kept rolling, but they have worked out really soft and snuggly.... I'm still finding bits of fluff - it goes everywhere!!!! 

Some more Field Journal hexagons have been self bound....


... and I continue with the long top border of Civil War Bride..... slowly but surely....

Righto, time for coffee and off to help get the Embroidery Exhibition set up today....

Have a lovely weekend.....


9 comments:

Karen's Korner said...

Such gorgeous cascading delicate lilac flowers. Those quilts look nice and snuggly with the minky backing. Did you find it was stretching when sewing onto the woven fabric? More pretty hexies.

Jeanette said...

Your wisteria is beautiful. Love the shade of lilac. Lovely quilts & FJ blocks.

Chantal said...

Thank you for sharing pictures of your wonderful wisteria. I love those flowers so much. It looks so enchanting; purple flowers coming down from the sky, haha. (me and my imagination, you know!) I can help with the brown grass. We had rain again yesterday evening AND today. So just tell me how much you need and your address. (If only it was that easy!)
Love your plaid quilts. Love the quilting design too. That's one that I can copy, haha. I'm sure the girls will love them dearly. Bravo, Grandma! I've never worked with Minky. One cat in the house, shedding all over the place is enough, lol. Your FJ are gorgeous, especially the red flower on the right. Your stitches are so precise. Absolutely wonderful! ;^)

Lin said...

Two great finishes - I ought to be inspired to get the pile of shirts out from under the bed but..... I love the wisteria, do miss the one I planted in France especially as it was grown from seed by a dear friend no longer with us. But hey ho, we move on. Enjoy. xx

Susan said...

I love your wisteria...in my ideal garden, I would have a jacaranda tree with wisteria near it...and oodles of daffodils and jonquils....LOL... don't have any of those.

The quilts will be lovely for the grandies and in this case - its not the quilting that is important.

the fluff everywhere is like having new towels!
Beautiful hexies and I know CWB is progressing... It is not a rush job!

kiwikid said...

Your wisteria is beautiful, ours is coming into flower too. Wonderful quilts for the grandies. Loving your hexies.

Karen S said...

I can smell the perfume from the wisteria!!!
It looks beautiful. I always think the colour is stunning.
Lovely work on the two quilts. They sure are special.

Jane said...

those shirt quilts have turned out really well, they are going to be treasured for a very long time

Janice said...

How lovely is your wisteria. Ours is very slowly getting established. I’m sure the snuggly quilts will be very well used and your Field Journal hexies are looking good

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>