Thursday, November 9, 2023

2nd week of November.....

The Avenues is now a quilt top..... I do like that thin scrappy border made from the left over Liberty fabrics


I love love it.....  but now it has to wait for a while before it gets any more attention....
  I would like to hand quilt it... not sure if I am brave enough....


Another 4 Sashiko blocks have been sewn.....  all variations of the same basic crosses ...


At machine sewing with friends this week I worked on the final 6 blocks of K Drama Drama...



(I did the green one the wrong way around but I will live with that at this stage - if it really gets in the way of my final setting I will make a new one....... 

The quilting for Gossip is done - but put away now till I can work on the binding.... and some crochet has been done but not much.  The nearby fires are out - we have had a bit of rain... the weeds are growing....

We have blocked this down pipe which takes rain water to the tank.... if you look just at the roof above the pipe you can see a brick ....


A closer look and in the catching box there is a dove nesting!!! She has 2 eggs... we have done what we could to stop them being flooded out when the rain comes.... silly bird!


Hard to get a good picture - I didn't want to go too close and upset her....

Righto, Gotto Go..... a few things to tidy up then we are going to night time Rugby 7 to watch Widget (who is no widget) play - so no stitching will be done tonight!

Hope all is well with you..... x


11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Don't know about you, but I have always thought of doves/pigeons as not being the most intelligent of birds......love your top! Do you think it would suit big stitch quilting?

Lin said...

The Avenues is lovely and will look gorgeous hand quilted. Lovely to have that nest, if in an inconvenient and slightly risky spot!
xx

Karen's Korner said...

Nice work on the Avenues....I can just see myself wandering down the avenue looking up at those pretty trees. Poor mumma bird. I hope her eggs hatch.

Chantal said...

Wonderful work on The Avenues. I love it. Lovely work on the Sashiko blocks. Just like quilting, depending on the type of sashing used, it can change the look of the block. It's cool. I don't know how doves have survived for so long; I believe they are the species that coined the phrase "bird brain". Lol. ;^)

Susan said...

Silly dove - but lovely of you to help save it from drowning (though it would probably be good to have the tank full . . .)
LOL - love the comment about "bird brain" from Chantal.

Julie said...

I LoVe the Avenues too Fiona ... so pretty & simplistic. Also loving your sashiko & keep meaning to start something similar. Gosh that is a good pic of the birds nest - how kind to keep it from drowning. Hopefully its dry for a wee bit while they grow. xx

WoolenSails said...

I love your quilt too, beautiful design and fabric choices. That is going to be stunning with quilting. Birds use the strangest places to nest. We had a robin who built one on a ladder that was hanging under our porch.

Debbie

Raewyn said...

I love your Avenues and agree about the narrow border. Another quilt I have the pattern for! Your sashiko pieces look good. Lucky you spotted the dove's nest - I hope you have baby doves soon!

Maria said...

Love "The Avenues" yes a thin border would finish it off.
Oh those Doves are so silly and you'll find they'll nest there again next year....

Janice said...

When you see The Avenue all together it looks like they are spring blossom trees. Sooo pretty. I can’t wait to see your machine sewing group project come together. It should be very striking. Have fun with your Sashiko. Yes, silly dove. Hopefully the babies fledge before any heavy rain. We had a pee wee make a nest in the TV antenna on the house over the road. How it stayed out I don’t know.

SlotJoint said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your post! Your insights are impressive. Please write more!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>