Saturday, May 20, 2023

Second week of May

It's been a busy week and one of sewing a variety of things... often just finishing off

Last time I mentioned a workshop at Embroidery Guild.... one of the members kindly introduced those of us who wanted to learn to some Ukranian Whitework....

This is what I managed in the 3 hours I was there!!!!


I have done a little bit more since being home but it is slow going - the tutor did say I would 'get my eye in' and it would go a bit quicker.....

I'm planning to sit quietly with a light and magnifier and try and do a bit more today - it is definitely not the sort of thing I can do with any other distractions....


At sewing with the girls on Tuesday I made up a few 'tarts'.....


I am finding these fiddly diddly and not getting nice round curves.... 


I made up a beanie as requested.....  this is quite a nice looking pattern with a bit of a slouch...


I made up a smaller one that fits closer to the skull as well....


These are made in the Zimbabwe flag colours (that centre is a strong green though here it looks teal) .... you can see the difference in size here....


These little stitcheries for the inside of Dresden plates (Gossip in the Garden) were completed....


They really don't take too long....


I did quilt up a couple of my own quilts.... I have two of these same ones (as there was enough fabric in my fat quarter pack to make up 2)


I did a simple ribbon all over... nice and soft and doesn't take away from the lovely shadowed stars....


gorgeous cornflower blue spot backing....
\

Joy has a sweet free BOM going and I have caught up on the stitcheries but still need to make up the blocks....


I can generally get one done in an evening....


Craft Alive was here in Toowoomba this week and some pretty French General fabrics fell in my basket.....

I was helping a friend at her stall but did manage to catch up for coffee with some friends from Brisbane (forgot the photo!)


My favourite there was an exhibition by a couple of textile artists.... amazing - again no photo's (bad bad blogger me).

I had a chat to a stall holder selling beautiful threads and mentioned I mostly do backstitch.... well did she go off at me for cheating and I should be doing her lessons of 5 stitches and not do backstitch... blah blah blah.... I found it very very hard not to be rude to her.  I like backstitch!

Last night was FNSI hosted by Wendy....  I worked on some Sashiko (L plates on)


I want to do a quilt with Sashiko blocks and practicing the motion with some smaller ready marked pieces I have had for a while.  I am using these DMC 5 threads.

Any tips are welcome .....

Righto, Gotto Go -  have a lovely weekend everyone.... the sun is out, the temperature is cool, my stitching awaits....

xxx



22 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

You've had a lovely, busy and varied week. Love the sashiko, your tarts look fab and I'm sure the curves will even out when you add them in your project.
I'd never heard of Ukrainian whitework. It looks intricate. Happy stitching and I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

marina said...

What a feast for the eyes. Great progress on your whitework even though it is labour intensive. lovely wooliness and quilt finish.
how rude of that lady! I love back stitch too.
Why was it lazy?
Love those blue french general fabrics and your sashiko looks amazing.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona oh I love those blue French general fabrics ,I can’t believe that lady saying you were cheating,she was very rude ,you do such beautiful work and I love your back stitching .
Wow you have been so busy I always love seeing your wide variety of projects,well done my friend 🌹🤍🌹

kiwikid said...

Seems you often find jumping fabrics when you go out!! They look great, as do your stitcheries - and if you like backstitch then you do backstitch!! What a rude person. Love the sashiko.

Julie said...

Love the new French Generals that fell into your bag Fiona. Also love the whitework ... love the look of it, simple but effective.
I think I maybe would have been rude back to that lady - am I missing something here ?? What is wrong with backstitch ... I didn't realise it was a crime 😉 Your sashiko is stunning. xx

Maria said...

Lots happening at your place Fiona.
Cute Beanies, lovely stitcheries and the Ukranian embroidery looks interesting.
The curves on your Tarts look good.
Lucky you are not a rude person or you may have given that women what for.
I also love backstitch.
Enjoy your sashiko stitching project.

Jennifer said...

Your work is your work, Fiona, not Miss Bossy Boots, and you can use whatever stitch you want! For many years I had a lovely book on Ukranian embroidery (both whitework and coloured) that I once had Great Plans to make a project from, but alas never did.....so last month gave it to a friend who is from a Ukranian family, and she loves it. Love the colourful beanies, just the thing for the current cold weather.

Chantal said...

This is a lovely and very interesting post. Never heard of Ukrainian Whitework before. It sure looks intricate and it demands full attention for sure. Looking forward to seeing this project grow. Love the beanies. They will be useful in a few weeks I bet. Ok, repeat after me; I am NOT a bad blogger: I am a busy woman! :^P That woman needs to check on her social skills; I believe she has none!! You do wonderful work in any and every stitch, period! Go get a cuppa, sit in your favourite chair, and stitch to your heart's content. 💗🥰 ;^)

Sharon Kwilter said...

Wow, you made progress on so many projects. You must spend a lot of time on them. They're all lovely.

Lin said...

Your Ukrainian work looks interesting and lots of other nice things too. xx

Karen's Korner said...

Lots of lovely projects being worked on. Nice work on the beanies....I find matching up the stripes is a pain when sewing them up.

Jeanette said...

Lovely projects. You've been very busy. Love the Ukranian whitework. I've not tried that one. Gorgeous fabrics that "fell" into your basket. :) Do you have a quilt in mind for them.

Cheryll said...

Ad always… wonderful work and interesting projects…xox

Astrid said...

Lots of nice projects; embroidery, quilting, knitting. You've been busy! Ukrainian white work looks interesting. Love your shadow star quilt. What's wrong with backstitch??

Jane said...

that white work is going to be beautiful. Many moons ago, I did some hardanger and loved it

Janice said...

I’m always impressed with what a lovely variety of projects you are working on. They are all delightful. I definitely don’t think you only do back stitch. You do lots of others, but back stitch is extremely versatile.

Sharm said...

So many varied projects you are both working on and have completed im not sure where to start - all so lovely, but you did well not exploding at that woman ! Many, many of us use backstitch

Susan said...

Silly woman saying that - you obviously won't be buying from her...I suspect I know which stall.
We obviously didn't look at your stall closely enough if they are the new FG blues...drats!

I also loved the work on display by the woman whose name I've forgotten - the round quilts were great - and did you see the windows full of crystal - LOVED them.

loulee said...

Wow, you've been busy. It's good to experiment and try out new techniques.

Ondrea said...

I really love the multi coloured Sashiko. Gees, that woman was so rude! The stitcheries are very cute. I am still in awe of how many projects you get done. The Ukranian white work is beautiful but not something my eyes could deal with. Good on you !

Karen S said...

You really have got a lot done.
I have not seen that type of whitework. I will watch your results with interest.
The hats look great in the flag colours.
And well done getting some of your own quilts quilted. Lovely.
Sounds like you had a good time at Craft Alive except for one person. We all need to do what we enjoy best. You stick with your back stitch!

Chookyblue...... said...

I like you really enjoy back stitch..........and I have been working on some sashiko.......the white stitching is interesting......looking forward to seeing it come together...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>