Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Preparing Applique.....

When I was shown this way of preparing applique it made such a difference to me....  

Once the pieces are all drawn on the selected fixing medium and cut from the fabric (need to follow instructions given on pattern about this taking note of reversing etc)

we are working on the finished direction of the applique...

I use a piece of baking paper big enough to fit over the picture and clip it so it doesn't move around

then start adding the first pieces (usually the pattern marks which ones to do first)


 ... and building up... gently pressing the pieces onto the baking paper as I go so they don't move


... and more placing and pressing.... having the picture underneath helps so much in making sure the placement of pieces is correct....


 ... and on and on until it is all together.... then give it a good press with the iron...


... it is going to lift off the paper so easily when it is done and cooled but the pieces hold together nicely where they overlap on fabric ...


I like to keep my applique on the baking paper like this right up until I want to add it to the background fabric....



... here I have several of my aeroplanes on the baking paper and taped to my cupboard so I can compare colours as I make some more....


... I haven't negected my girlie quilt though....



Righto, Gotto Go... I need to make some sky for my aeroplanes.....

30 comments:

Terry said...

Wow! Those airplanes are amazing! :0)

Sheila said...

Great airplanes and I love that method of appliqué too :-)
Hugs Sheila

Anonymous said...

wow i agree with terry they are amazing and thankyou so much for that tip ,it makes very easy to do then,thankyou for sharing and love your girly blocks,hope you have an awesome day my friend.xx

debbie said...

That looks like a great tip for applique. Thank you for sharing your wisdom :) xx debbie

Tarnyia said...

A great tip and thanks for sharing... loving the planes xxx

Jan said...

I've done this for years, Fiona - baking paper is a staple in my sewing room!

Jan said...

PS: Your planes are fabulous!

Jennifer said...

Another boy quilt in the making? Baking paper is very useful stuff......sometimes I even use it for baking!

WoolenSails said...

I like how you used the paper to do the appliqué, that is what I need to do. That makes it so much easier to get proper placement for fusible, thanks for the tip. Love the airplane, that is going to be such a fun quilt.

Debbie

Michelle Ridgway said...

Those are going to get some lucky little boys heart racing....great!

Jeanette said...

The planes are gorgeous. Hugs, xx

Daisy Jayne said...

Wow! Those airplanes are amazing! thanks for sharing another method of appliqué

Unknown said...

love the fun colours of the aeorplanes

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

They look zoomerific..I'm sure that they are going to make a little boy very happy...or is it for hubby.

Grammasheri said...

Love this idea Fiona. I've used a silicone pressing sheet before to assemble one item at a time. This allows for multiples as you've shown which is quite a timesaver. Thanks for the tutorial.

Sue SA said...

Cute planes, thanks for the tip!

Jane said...

love all the aeroplanes, how many are you doing?

Jane said...

love all the aeroplanes, how many are you doing?

Karen said...

Great technique for applique. Love the little planes.
Great to see the girlie blocks still on the go.

marina said...

what a fantastic method, I am so trying that for the next applique project I do!
love the pattern for the planes too.
are these a new quilt for a grandie?

Sunnybec said...

I use that method of applique too, so much easier. My biggest problem is when there isn't a layout provided and all you have are the pieces! EEEKKK. Love all the colours you have used on your planes. xxx

Susan said...

Handy stuff that baking paper.
The planes look great!

Cheryl said...

I've used this method too Fiona - it does make life easier. Great project

Love Bears All Things said...

Good job! I love your tutorials.
Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous planes Fiona! I love this method of fusing the applique, everyone should try it! xx

kiwikid said...

Thank you for sharing Fiona, will have to try that one! Love the planes!
xx

Lin said...

Fun aeroplanes and a great tutorial - thank you.

KaHolly said...

You are a genius! I never would have thought to use baking paper to construct my appliques! Love those aeroplanes!

DAWNIE said...

What a great idea, may try it on the next Applique project

Susan said...

a tick for this - I have always used the original drawing but hadn't thought to clip them like that - very clever and using baking paper means you can keep them like that until you are ready - I've used the applique mats before and only have 2...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>