Monday, July 17, 2023

Christmas in July and FNWF


This week at Quilt Club we celebrated Christmas in July
(I haven't been to one before!)

Even Santa was there



Earlier in the year those of us who wanted to participate signed up for a challenge - we were all given a piece of fabric that had to be used.

Make a pillowcase suitable for a child up to 10 years old, that can also be a wallhanging ....  We had a viewers choice vote..

This was my pick ... and it came in second......


We had cake......


This was first choice.... lots of happy clowns....


Our table was very well decorated... it also happened to be the noisiest table - we read bon-bon jokes, wore the silly hats and even had snowman toy races....


This was my entry for the challenge


My point of difference was using Glow in the Dark fabric so this is what it does when the lights go out....  and of course swirly whirly quilting as the rocket flies.  I called it "Reach for your Dreams"



I do struggle making up things but I had a bit of fun..... all the finished articles will be displayed at the quilt show in September then donated on to charity (which is really why I joined in)

Wendy hosted FNWF and I was lucky enough to be invited to join a few others for a sewing evening so was able to double dip!

Finishing off the last few Field Journal stitcheries


There are 2 left - and heaps to go onto the hexagons.... so this 3 year project is extended longer

Righto, Gotto Go.... the week has many things happening....  hope you have a wonderful one....



15 comments:

Jeanette said...

The pillowcases are cute. Looks like you had a fun day out. :)

WoolenSails said...

I am not a clown fan, lol. I do love the ship and I really love yours, Alex would love that and the glow in the dark fabric, is a big plus. Sounds like a fun event.

Debbie

Jennifer said...

That looks like a fun day! Glow in the dark fabric would be a big hit with kids.....they love it.

Lin said...

Well that sounds like lots of fun! The pillowcases are great and glow in the dark fabric was a great idea. Hope you saved a special FJ block for last. xx

Raewyn said...

That looks like such a fun gathering! And a great idea with the pillowcases - I really like your Glow in the Dark one - and I bet a youngster will love it too! Your stitcheries are lovely - I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt (hehe no pressure!)

Julie said...

Those pillowcases turned out great & what a wonderful idea for a challenge. I love your glow in the dark idea!! Looks like a fun day all round. xx

Maria said...

A fun Christmas 🤶 in July evening.. lovely Santa 🤶 and cake.
All the pillow slip/wall hangs are great. Love how your glows in the dark.
Two more pretty FJ blocks.

Chantal said...

Sounds like you had a fun time out. I love the sheep pillowcase too and yours is awesome. Love that you used glow-in-the-dark fabric. What a great idea for a child. Enjoy! ;^)

Karen's Korner said...

What a fun day. All the pillowcases look like winners to me.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Sounds good fun. I really love your Rocket pillowcase....great idea. I have loved watching your pretty CGT project blocks come together xx

Karen S said...

Lots of fun! The pillow case challenge was a great idea. Your glow in the dark will be a lovely surprise for a little one.
I can't believe the field journal blocks are coming to an end. I always enjoy seeing them.

Barwitzki said...

Quilt Club Christmas in July... just wonderful, especially the beautiful things that were specially made for it.
Your post is just right for ages 10 and under - making space rocket and stars shine in the dark...great idea.
Of course the clowns are super funny just like the sheep are cute.
I can imagine that you had a lot of fun.
Many greetings from Viola
Happy embroidery :-)
... P.S. Yes, very nice here with me, a little sewing, a lot outside and yesterday in the cinema - French film by Francois Ozon "Mon crim" Paris 30s wonderful film fun.

Janice said...

Christmas in July I always a bit of fun. A bit more like the traditional northern hemisphere Christmas weather. I do find it amusing that some in America seem to be having it too. It seems funny for them in the middle of summer. The glow in the dark fabric really makes your pillowcase special. It will be strange when you have no more Field Journal blocks to stitch. Enjoy making the hexies.

Susan said...

What fun you have had - love the Glow in the Dark piece...fascinating

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Looks like you had a fun day! Well done for getting 2nd in the pillowcase challenge - yours is so cute as is the clown one xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>