Saturday, February 18, 2023

FNSI - Third week of February


Since I had my big ball of 'yarn' already made I was able to spend a happy afternoon mat making....

I had used 2 1/2" strips of fabric and wadding folded up using THIS tutorial on line.  My only difference is that I didn't join the strip ends straight but on the bias as one would do binding - thus minimising a big lump of seam.

Friends are doing a workshop and their wadding is 1 1/2" and bought ready cut.  It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in the result.  I can't imagine there is.  Their wadding is polyester, mine was cotton cut from scraps off the sides of quilts.

This was the one I wanted to make.... once it got to this size I stopped...


The beginning is the hardest to get round curves at the ends.... almost had to gather the inside so it would lay flat but once a few rounds are done it was easier....
I wide long zig zag stitch and a denim needle in the machine - no problem and the machine is a relatively small one which I carry to workshops.


I like a bit of colour in the laundry.... this large wall-hanging is in there and this is where these bright mats will live...


It got tested out by the visiting cat quite quickly... he really thinks he should be outdoors (he does get taken for regular supervised outings!)


There was plenty of 'yarn' left so I cut strips and made this mat.  Strips are much easier to sew and then I bound the two rough edges.


I did enjoy doing this with the wadding, I have made a bag using rope but I found that too stiff and my machine kept missing stitches.  I think I will make a 'basket' once I get another nice stock of wadding strips.

In the evenings for hand stitching I have made a start on these sweet "Heartstrings" pre-printed stitcheries I found at The Quilters Angel.  I am not going to make the quilt but use them in a couple of other projects.  Even though they are quite small (cut at 2 1/2") they need a couple of evenings each.



And a bit of needle-turn at quilt group on Tuesday..... the big block for Gossip now has a teapot after sewing all those stems!


Friday was FNSI .... well it was really all day with friends.  Marilyn offered me a lift to go to Brisbane to meet up with a group where the FNSI host, Wendy was in town.  Luckily we had Shez on the ball with photographs...



A lovely day of chatting, a couple of people did a few stitches, and lots of laughing as well as a very nice meal.

I took some more Heartstrings to work on.... was tired in the evening so this is how my work stayed....


The sewing was a fail but the time with friends was a great success...

Continuing with my 15 minutes a day crochet - I did manage extra on Friday morning as a passenger in the car to Brisbane...

It is growing nicely....


Of course the cat had to get to it.... just attacked it!  Perhaps he is not keen on the colours!


Righto, Gotto Go.... me and grandson and the cat here today ....  Have a lovely weekend...










15 comments:

Maria said...

Your mats look fantastic.May need to have a go?????
Some lovely stitching and needle turn you've worked on.
What a wonderful time with all those fun ladies.
Funny cat!

Jennifer said...

Your mats have been cat approved - well done! Pretty stitching.....meeting up in person is always great fun.

Jeanette said...

Lovely mats. I might need to try that out with all my leftover wadding. The heartstrings blocks look lovely. I think i have them somewhere, just to stitch too, not make the quilt. :)

Cheryll said...

I LoVe the colours in your "mat"... both look really great.
You packed a lot into this post... well done...xox

Janice said...

Your mat is such a cheerful addition to your laundry and a nice comfy spot for kitten butt. One of the girls in our patchwork group was making one, but it ended up curving up, so she turned it into a basket. I’m intrigued as to what you will use your stitcheries for. I have the pattern and traced patterns here, waiting for “one day”. Good luck with your crochet and your get together with Wendy would have been great fun.

Karen's Korner said...

Pretty and practical and all made from scraps. Well done. Your wall hanging would make doing the laundry very colourful. That looks to be a fun day with the girls.

kiwikid said...

Your mats are wonderful Fiona as is your quilt in the laundry. Pretty little stitcheries, good to see you had a fun day out. Gossip is looking great. Boy that cat needs to learn to leave your things alone!!

Lin said...

The rugs have turned out really well, nice and cheerful. Sweet little stitcheries and Gossip is coming along nicely. What a fun time you all had for FNSI xx

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona I love your new mats and boy doesn’t your wall hanging look great hanging up in the laundry with mat,lots of happy colour .
It was good seeing you again my friend sending much love 🌹🤍🌹

Jane said...

I love the rugs, think I'll have to add that to my list

Julie said...

Gosh I just love that mat Fiona.💙 Its gorgeous & so is the wallhanging in your laundry room. I have been wanting to sew a rope bowl for ages - bought the rope from the Variety store & got no further. I thought that was you in one of Shez's photos on instagram - how lovely to all meet up. xx

Astrid said...

Who is the busiest bee?! You've been busy! Fabulous rug, I love it! Pretty needle-turn and embroidery. LOVE your house quilt! LOL on the cat!

Ondrea said...

Both mats look lovely. Very colourful. A cat's approval is very important. Love your stitcheries and that gorgeous quilt in your laundry.

loulee said...

I love the laundry quilt. Hehe, cats do like to sit on mats.

Karen S said...

The mats look great and I agree that it is lovely to have a touch of colour.
Fascinating how cats like to have a say in everything you make and do.
Looks like you had a great catch up in Brisbane. A lovely way to see everyone.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>