Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Naive Melody


A few years ago I joined in with a Modern Quilt sewalong.  It was hosted by Lucy Engels and we did her Naive Melody quilt.

This is the quilt that started me using my Terra Australis fat quarter pack.

I chose Needleturn applique...


The backgrounds were larger pieces I had in my stash and I also had a bit of metreage of the orange in the range (which I used for the orange backgrounds and binding)
For Quilting I outlined the shapes and did a fairly small meander in between to bring out the shapes...


I was so pleased to have spotted this backing at the shop.... just perfect...


A quick show of the other quilts I did using this range for the colours and then adding different backgrounds...

National Quilt Museum Block of the Month 2021 (free on line)  Different techniques used..


Dotty (made up myself) purchased black and whites for the 4 patch backgrounds... Machine appliqued the coloured circles...


Puzzle Box, free pattern by Christa Quilts.  I purchased some cream grunge for the light backgrounds...


Chandelier Quilt, free pattern online.  I purchased dark grey for the background...


With the last little pieces left I made a bunch of these little card wallets.  Most of them have already been gifted.


I think there may be a couple of small pieces dropped in the scrap baskets.....  So pleased to have so well used the fabric pack and I think I will make it my mission to do so again with other packs I break into.   

It's been fun seeing how different they are with using different background colours....

I have a quilt on the frame which I had finished the top in 2019 - so now it's going to have it's turn for quilting!  

Righto, Gotto Go... Tuesday girls sewing and I have made a trifle to take.... all it needs now is a load of cream on top!

All the best as we ready ourselves for Christmas... I am so not ready and beginning to panic!  I'll just go and sew!

Lots of love xx



11 comments:

Maria said...

So many beautiful quilts and cute wallet purses made from your bundle.Great free patterns…
What size was it?? Sounds like a good challenge for next year ???

I hear you re Christmas!

Have a lovely sewing day, lucky ladies having trifle 😋

Astrid said...

Great use of the FQ's. Doesn't it feel good when there's only a few small pieces left of some fabrics? Beautiful modern quilts.

Chantal said...

All of these came out of one fat quarter pack? Wow! You really know how to get your money's worth out of fabric purchases. Awesome job! All these projects are beautiful. Congratulations! ;^)

Janice said...

Isn’t it amazing the totally different looks that can be achieved from the one fabric range. You chose a nice variety of patterns. Well done on using so much of it.

Jeanette said...

Beautiful quilts. Love the little card purses.

Jennifer said...

Interesting to see how different each quilt looks, Fiona - a change of background and design, and away you go!

Karen S said...

You really have had great value out of these fabrics. So many wonderful quilts!!

Lin said...

Your latest finish looks great - the quilting works really well. What a great job you did of using up all those fabrics! What's next? xx

loulee said...

You've made some lovely quilts out of that pack. And great to have no scraps from it. I love your Dotty creation.

Julie said...

You have a special gift of pulling colours & fabrics together Fiona ... combinations I would never think to use but that look amazing!! I have made some gift card wallets too .. but mine were just card & embellishments. I went to buy one in the local bookstore & they wanted $7.95 for just one! Not in my budget - I'd rather spend that extra $8 on the gift card, not the holder. xx

Christine M said...

Great quilts Fiona. I love the colours of your chandelier one. That pattern is on my to do list. Merry Christmas. xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>