Monday, May 23, 2022

Sorting things....


It seems as quilters/sewers/crafters there is always something to be sorted/tidied/made....

I largely keep my 'work room' tidy (forgive me but I find it very hard to get down to work if the room has stuff all over - it is my weakness).

I do, however, have a small storage space and that is 'a scary place' as Mr 10 year old grandson told me when he visited.  This weekend I decided to tidy up part of it .... amongst other things was a box of mini quilts I had taken down when we painted the inside of the house 4 years ago!

This is my main quilting area (which is obvious isn't it?)


Hubz helped me to do this.... it is a really happy place now.

Most of these are gifts/swaps.  I also have a collection of mini's for a hanger which change from time to time and I love them too - also mainly swaps.

Lots of fun and makes me smile every time I walk in there...


My sweet giraffe quilt is finished now....


I did these big informal swirls all over.... I was going more for gentle African breeze but it is a bit cyclonic!!! haha


I love it very much...


The backing is a flannel, grey with cutest little giraffes all over it... I used a darker grey streaky for binding (the background to the giraffes is a very light grey spot)


In the evenings I knitted up this pair of shoes.  Don't know the gender of the baby so going for as neutral as I can be.  I am just sorting out for a bib to go with it..

This is a pattern used for me and my siblings, my children and many of their cousins, my grandchildren and now extended family.  My pattern is written in my Mum's hand so it's pretty special to me.  They are a little shoe that I found the babies didn't kick off easily.


Part of the tidying was getting to use some of my scraps - sometimes I find I end up with very generous sized leftovers from a quilt... 

I made this quilt in 2018 and it lives in UK with a grandiegirl....  cute little hedgehogs with one facing a different direction.  In the label I encouraged her to be brave to take the other way if she needed to.



Anyway, the leftovers have been tamed.... this will be a Star Pop quilt...  Raewyn was doing one and I rather love it.  I expect another bunch of leftovers will get the same treatment.  I just need to buy some plain fabric for the stars to go with it.


Righto, Gotto Go.... I have a bib to cut out and prepare the handwork for it...

Have a lovely week......xx



12 comments:

Chantal said...

Wow! I love your wall of fame quilts! It sure cheers up the place. Love, love the giraffe quilt. Adorable! Well done with the swirls. They don't look cyclonic, to me, they look more like Van Gogh's sky. haha. Enjoy the new project. ;^)

Chookyblue...... said...

Wow you wall looks amazing now...... So nice to have them hanging again......
Good to see the giraffes finished........ Cute booties

loulee said...

Your quilting space looks amazing, all those tiny quilts make it very welcoming.
Love the giraffes.

kiwikid said...

The wall looks fantastic, sure is your happy place! Love the giraffe quilt and the cyclonic swirls!! The booties are super cute! Will be a lovely baby package.

Maria said...

The minis look lovely up on your wall.
The swirly quilting looks great on the giraffe 🦒 quilt.
I remember when you made the cute hedgehog 🦔 quilt.
The left overs will make a sweet quilt.

Lin said...

Cute little shoes and lovely to have your mothers pattern, nice that it has been used so often. xx

Karen's Korner said...

Love your wall of "minis". Cute little shoe pattern as are the giraffes. Looking forward to seeing star pop quilt.

Karen S said...

That wall looks amazing with all those mini quilts. What a wonderful idea.
And the giraffes are gorgeous! That has turned into a very special quilt. Love it.
The knitted booties are great. Smart idea that they can't be kicked off. Snuggly and warm, too.
That fabric bundle will work well in the Star Pop quilt. I saw that one too. Have fun.

Chrissie said...

Your wall of quilts looks lovely, quite transforms the room. Love the giraffes, such a sweet pattern for the shoes made even more special that it was your Mum´s pattern. Have fun with your new project xcx

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona love your sewing room.
It’s always lovely to see your beautiful work,those hedgehogs and giraffes are so cute,take care 💕🤍💕

Jindi's Cottage said...

What a difference hanging your wee quilts back up makes...love it...absolutely love your giraffes, such a happy quilt...

Janice said...

I so love seeing a wall of mini quilts. Won’t it be nice to look up from your quilting and see these. The giraffe quilt has turned out beautifully with it’s quilted swirls. I’ve also used that cute backing fabric on a coupe of things. How nice to have a family tradition of the little knitted boots. Have fun with your new scrappy quilt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>