Thursday, June 14, 2018

Variety is the spice of life.....


... it certainly seems that way in my sewing world.....

I had a few mesh bags that hadn't been finished off after our mammoth bag making day.... I just needed to hem these and thread the cord through.

The mesh is quite strong so I have just used a 3/4" cut length of mesh to work as the cord with a simple knot at the end..... 

I love the HiVis ones... no-one will be going off with my vegetables!!!



For ChooseDay girls sewing this week I cut and sewed together the Dresden plates for my next block of Flowerville...  A little perspex template was included in the kit which makes it so much easier.

Those blades are about 4 ."long and 1" wide.... a little bit fiddly but oh so pretty....

Such a sense of satisfaction when the blades all come together nice and smoothly...


The next project is the fault of Janice  - we have been emailing backwards and forwards and I loved what she made last year with Moda Blockheads..... she mentioned there is another one this year......  and that was that.....

I am using up pastels from my 'stash' of different fabrics picked up over the years.... subsidised from my scrap baskets!


This first block is 12 1/2" but there is a variety of different sizes which will make it fun I think.  46 blocks altogether and the quilt design is not revealed until the end.  One block a week which is manageable and would be easy enough to catch up if I missed for some reason


My Friday Night with the girls at The Quilters Angel sewing is Flowerville, however, when I am close to the end I do some at home to get the block finished.... This is to be sewn into the centre of the Dresden plate wreath above....


My friend Marina had a birthday earlier this month..... like the white bunny in Alice in Wonderland I was late for the important date but a parcel was sent off and has been received

I stitched up this Kathy Schmitz design from her book "Stitches from the Garden" - I think the end size was 13" x 10" and framed in a small spot binding.


I added a little 'M' from Michelle's 'Stitching Alphabet'... which Marina has to think up a way to use it!!! haha


A little mouse has sneaked into my sewing basket.... a little Natalie Bird design


Maria has been showing her blocks for My Small World.  I have long been a fan of Jen Kingwell but never tried one of her patterns - but Maria has bent my arm and now I will sew this.  I am using my scraps as the pieces are small ....



so... that's the variety that is the spice of my life today....  I blame it on other bloggers that there is so much going on!!

Righto, Gotto Go.... I want to dive into those scrap baskets .....



23 comments:

Helen said...

OMG I need a rest now after reading about all tour projects to be done....you are such a busy girl....love them all.

Helen said...

Oooops typo.....your....lol

Jeanette said...

I need a rest too. 😊😊. Love the mesh bags. I get some looks when using mine when shopping but i don't care as i'm using less plastic ect. The checkout ladies always tell me "good on you". Love your projects. The mouse is so very cute. Hugs, xx

Jane said...

I'm looking forward to the summer break to get stuck into some different projects. Looking forward to seeing your Small World

Fiona said...

..

Lin said...

Gorgeous stuff aas always - I am loving your Flowerville and the new BOW block looks great. Beautiful embroidery for Marina. xx

Anonymous said...

Lol I a, with the other girls Fiona ,I am exhausted reading what you have been up to. You have done lots of beautiful work and love the gifts you sent to Marina,love your new veggie bags I have some and I need to make some more I used them for the first time this week and took my green bags,first time I hadn't collected a plastic bag along the way,lol,I just need to remember to take them with me,lol. Hope you have a lovely weekend my friend xx

Chookyblue...... said...

The best spice ever......

Susan said...

You certainly won't get bored - I really really want to do My Small World - and as much as I'd love to join you & Maria - I don't think I can squeeze it in.... :-(


Jennifer said...

Lots of variety indeed......makes me tired just thinking about it!

Deb R said...

wow sooo busy....lots of lovely stuff your working on...I did blockheads last year and got 1/2 through, but I do liek the idea of 12.5"blocks...have downloaded the blocks but as yet havent started...might join in too :)

Louise said...

I like the flavor of your projects! Kind of a curry, with all those spices :) My Small World is intriguing! Is it a quilt along, or are you just starting it on your own? I love house/village quilts...

WoolenSails said...

You do such beautiful stitchery and love how you did Kathy's design.
I also like the piece to fit into the dresden, and the little mouse, so cute.

Debbie

Michelle Ridgway said...

Fab job on the vegie bags! Especially the high vis ones....at least they won't get lost in your bag. Flowerville looks gorgeous....so,love your colourways for it. I am sure Marina was thrilled with her gorgeous gift. Lovely stitching on the M and little mousey xx

Chantal said...

Wonderful projects, all of them. Love the little gift send to Marina. Your stitches are so perfect. Love, love, love the center for the Dresden plate but sewing blades of one inch ... no, thank you. Enjoy the weekend. ;^)

kiwikid said...

Lots of beautiful sewing happening at yours, the vege bags are wonderful. The Dresden plate is amazing..love the stitchery you have made for Marina, beautiful.

Unknown said...

Such a lot of gorgeous projects. All so scrummy. I managed to get away with bamboo needles and some yarn in my hand luggage so I have something to do lol xcx

sunny said...

That Dresden is Gorgeous! How many blades are there? Too many for me to sit and count. I always like to have a lot of projects in the works, so I never get the chance to get bored. I'm intrigued by your little town.

Allie-oops Designs said...

That dresden is simply divine! Love your stitching, what a lovely gift for Marina. That Small World quilt is amazing, enjoy that!

Cheryll said...

Oh you are one busy sewer Fiona... xox

Karen S said...

It is certainly not boring at your place. You have so many lovely projects on the go. The flowerville dresden and embroidery are lovely. Gorgeous gift stitchi ng too.
I think the mesh bags are a great idea.
Good luck with the new projects.

Janice said...

I'm tired just ready all of that lot. Those dresden wedges do look rather fiddly, but cute. Now, it's all my fault... and I still haven't started my blockheads yet. I love your fabric choice. I think I've changed my mind on fabrics. The Anni Downs ones are small scale, so I may save them for something smaller. I do have a large stash of Denyse Schmidt that I've not used....right from the first one that was released through Spotlight. I may go with that instead. I need to pull them out and have a better look....or I might use something entirely different. I also have to decide on a background....and get a wriggle on.

Maria said...

LOL missed this post... it is our friends who always make use take up new projects but what fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>