Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sewing blocks .......

One of my few (???) UFO's is this one....



Some years ago I bought a few shirts from the op shop and cut them up into rectangle blocks.....  and now added sashing to make them square......


.. made them into strips having laid them out going in different directions....


(sorry about the tarty pink toenails - I did them specially to go with my Ausi Day outfit ... I didn't crop the picture properly!!)

now the blocks are together and a border added.....  a new flimsy made....

 (each shirt yielded 12 rectangles - the black with white hibiscus was some matching metrage I found)


this is quite a nice easy and quick quilt to do
(quick if you don't mess around like I do... sew a bit, pop out to put the washing in, read some blogs, sew a bit, hang out the washing, take some pictures, sew a bit..... )

I have also started a new miniture quilting project using an old doily..... a bit of a long term project but the first step of around each edge is done ... and I couldn't resist a little feather circle!


... and because I have been good and worked on a UFO..... I thought I should trace out a new project....


Righto, Gotto Go... I'm in the mood for a cuppa tea

27 comments:

Lin said...

What an effective top - and great recycling. Love the doily.

Susan said...

I was going to say how effective is the "shirt" pattern - very clever.

Melody said...

You are so clever

Bev C said...

Hello Fiona,

I hope you are going to call this quilt "I took the shirt right of his back" How many buttons did you get from the shirts?
Have fun stitching that doily.

Happy days.
Bev.

Noela said...

Love your recycled fabric quilt. Hugs.....

KaHolly said...

Wow! That quilt top really makes a statement.

Daisy Jayne said...

great idea... looks fab

Barb said...

Oh I just love your quilt....lots of fun projects

WoolenSails said...

I really like how the quilt came out, nice look and fabric choices. I also like that doily, can't wait to see what you are making with it.

Debbie

Helen said...

Great recycling and wow a great effect. Well done.

Raewyn said...

Your ufo shirts look great - who would have thought they could be transformed so well!! Love your little doiley project - I cant wait to see more!! An inspiring post :-)

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely effective quilt. I'm sure your quilting project will be gorgeous. I subscribe to 1 finished = 1 new one to start xx

Susan said...

I have to be honest, I was wondering where this post was going with the first pic.....but wow, doesn't your shirt quilt look great. The red sashing really suits.

Christine said...

Every time I look at your quilting I am speechless so once again...you are amazing!

kiwikid said...

Love the quilt top....great use of shirts!! Fascinated to see the doily project coming along!
xx

Susie said...

Your quilt top looks great. I really need a light box.

Karen said...

Lovely quilt top. Obviously great choice of patterns in the shirts. Great idea!
More doiley fun!

Jane said...

I shall be watching your progress with the doily, I really must give this a go one day. I have quite a few hanging around. Great quilt from the shirts, very effective

Rosie said...

The quilt is looking great. Can't wait to see the doiley project. We can't stay away from new projects can we?

marina said...

your shirt top looks fantastic the sashings really set it off.
big tick for a finish!
love your little feather, so dainty.
Pretty stitchery.

Anonymous said...

Oh Fiona that is beautiful I love it ,what an awesome idea.xx

Cheryl said...

It's lovely Fiona - you are so clever and ingenious

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What a great idea Fiona...love your flimsy!

DebraKay Neiman said...

I can see possibilities with some of my scraps. Looks great. Greetings from Oklahoma, USA. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

Anonymous said...

Love that quilt!! What size block does it finish to??? It is a fab way of using that beautiful fabric. You are one awesome textile artist!!!! Hugs........

Sue SA said...

Great use of some old shirts, much nicer bloke quilt then boring plaids! Why are you using your light box upside down? Or is that something other then a light box? PS I am still tracing on the window on a sunny day, so I am jealous!

Jindi's Cottage said...

Great shirt quilt...got to agree with Sue SA, much more interesting that the usual plaids and checks!...
Do you mean to say that people actually focus on just working on their quilt without doing all those other things at the same time? Really, huh, must be how they get stuff done and I don't!!...
Of course you should be rewarded with a new project - signed, Your Enabler! *LOL*

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>