Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Blocks and Mothers and Daughters and Memories ....

Over the year Googy Girl hosted a 9 patch swap and a bunch of us made a bunch of 9 patches in reproduction prints... and then Googy Girl shared them all out and sent us loads of them

I love how they arrived wrapped up so pretty with a special card


I counted 113 blocks... so can get a big quilt out of it... I think I might make two different ones 

Thank you so much to all the lovely ladies who contributed to these and especially Googy Girl who coordinated it all and sorted the blocks out.... they are magnificent...

This is a cute pattern by Leanne May (Candlelight Creations)....


 I adapted the original words which were "When I was little you always held my hand" since I was giving this to my daughter for her and her daughter....


I love the little detail of stitching on the light border and on the tags....


I sent this pretty little one to my daughter in UK... she has a daugher who when she saw this said "Can it go in my room?"... so my guess it has gone to the right home....

Whilst I was making mothers and daughter related things I got to thinking about my mom, who was a really good cook, not fancy meals but always tasty.... Sunday lunches were roasts and at night something light... like waffles, or pancakes, or yorkshire puddings, or sardines on toast.....

.. or french toast...


It is so long since I have had this easy and tasty light meal.... with some fresh raspberries and wedges of orange and a sprinkle of cinnamon ... (of course you can use the traditional lashings of maple syrup and a blob of icecream!)

I used THIS recipe (but only used a Tbsp of sugar) .... so yummy so I think this will be back on the regular menu.... and it was lovely pulling out some of those memories too.

Righto, Gotto Go ..... I want to look up some ideas for 9 patch quilts - I am sure I will need to make a shopping list too!



23 comments:

Elyte said...

That stitchery and its beautiful sentiments is already being passed down from generation to generation.
Yummy 9 patches and yummy french toast. Guess what's on the menu this weekend?

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

The blocks looks so good....lovely wall hanging.

Karen said...

That looks like a lovely bundle of blocks. What a great idea.
Your little stitchery is delightful. So special for your daughter and grand daughter.
Mmmm .... yummy!

Anonymous said...

that wall hanging is very cute Fiona and how gorgeous is your GD wanting it for her room,bet she is doing the happy dance,yummy love the food you bake,enjoy.xx

Chrissie said...

Adorable wall hanging, lovely sentiments, no wonder your daughter and grand daughter liked their special gift.
look forward to seeing what you do with the 9 patches. Your french toast looks yummy, making me feel hungry, better find some breakfast.

Jeanette said...

Lovely 9 patches. Gorgeous stitchery. Hugs, xx

marina said...

I can't wait to see how those nine patch blocks come together!
Your hanging is really gorgeous. what a beautiful gift, and wonderful that it was so well received.
Those toasties would go perfectly with my nice cup of tea right now.

French Nanny said...

That panel is beautiful. I would love to make it for my daughter and granddaughter, but it seems that Quilters Angel do not sell it.

Do you know of anywhere else I might try?

Penny
x

Susan said...

They make a very promising pile don't they? It will be a while before I use mine so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. Very sweet stitchery.

Mistea said...

Lovely bundle of blocks to play with there.
Sweet stitchers shared with your girls. Leanne's designs are all beautiful.
French toast is a great standby quick meal.
Enjoy!

Sheila said...

Such a wonderful bundle of nine patch blocks that I am certain you will do your magic on and make a lovely quilt . The little stitchery is adorable and I know your daughter must have been thrilled , I love it ! Hugs Sheila

Maria said...

What a great swap and they were wrapped beautifully..
Such a gorgeous Wall Hanging..

WoolenSails said...

Your stitcheries are beautiful.

Debbie

Joanna said...

You must love that your granddaughter wanted your stitchery; it's the nicest compliment. It's lovely. French toast is just plain delicious.

Ulla's Quilt World said...

So lovely!
Greetings from Finland!
Ulla's Quilt World
Hugs, Ulla

Michelle Ridgway said...

A lovely post Fiona...such a beautiful hanging and one sure to be treasured by the sounds of it. Have fun with your 9 patch blocks x

Sue SA said...

Yum now I am hungry! French toast is definately on the menu this weekend, love the nine patches, looking forward to seeing them all together.

Sue SA said...

Yum now I am hungry! French toast is definately on the menu this weekend, love the nine patches, looking forward to seeing them all together.

Jane said...

A lovely mini quilt, and definitely gone to the right place. What a lovely pile of blocks too. You'll have fun deciding what to do with them

Anthea said...

Wow, what an amazing project or two will come of those nine-patches! You will have a little bit of love all in one place from those who made the blocks... x

Lin said...

Love your little hanging - what a beautiful gift. Great nine patches - going to make a great quilt or two!

Chookyblue...... said...

the nine patch blocks look great don't they.........lovely stitchery.....sounds like the perfect home for it............

Nicky said...

It's been so nice to see all the nine patches in your swap, and it will be great to see all the different ideas everyone has for putting them together....
Love your new stitchery, memories of mums are so treasured, I do miss mine, and even more so at the special celebrations like Christmas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>