Friday, August 30, 2024

End of August ....

.... September is formally the start of Spring but lately we have been having Summerlike weather without the humidity.... lovely.

Some months ago Hubz put an application in with the council for a couple of street trees on our verge and this week they came and planted 2 Crepe Myrtles.  We had hoped for native trees but many of these are on the streets around and I guess they want to keep some consistency.  They will look pretty when they flower and are hardy so not really fussed...


All my wriggly leaves have been done and flowers added for the latest Caswell block...


These are the 4 so far.....


Tuesday at club I continued with sewing hexagons together..... 


... and I cut up a jelly roll to prepare for a retreat at the end of September....  I will cut another as I am planning to do 2 matching quilts...



I purchased some red batik for the contrast and washed it first (just because I know reds and blues can run) and I'm glad I did... this is the 3 colour catches I had with it.


My UFO this month was to make something with a bunch of little red hearts I had made with some scraps from a project....

I do love these zippy project bags and this is a big one so it will easily hold a pattern book.  Vinyl in front....


... and the little hearts on the back....


I had some time on the machine and put my blocks together.... 20 square blocks so it wasn't a lot to do...


I do love the end result ( it is camouflaged against that wall!)



89" x 71" and enough of one colour to make the binding.....  I'll need to look out for a nice earthy backing for it....


Righto, Gotto Go... I need to dig out a new machine project since I finished up a couple .....

Have a lovely weekend.... xx



12 comments:

Jeanette said...

The Caswell blocks are gorgeous. Pretty zippy pouch & lovely quilt top.

Maria said...

You’ll enjoy the verge tree when they flower.
Great to have another Caswell block finished to add to the other pretty ones….
Love that quilt top. What size are the blocks?

Karen S said...

The crepe myrtles do look lovely when in flower. Our council gave us crimson oaks - beautiful in Winter, but not sure how big they will grow.
Lovely work on the Caswell blocks.
Smart move with the colour catchers. That is a good reminder for me.
Your new big quilt top looks great with those fabrics and colours. Hope you find the right backing.

Julie said...

Your Caswell is looking so stunning Fiona. Also love the new project bag - so very pretty 💗 That new quilt top is very lovely too - I really like the earthy colour palette & its very effective. The new trees will be wonderful - they look a decent size already. xx

Jennifer said...

Beautiful applique blocks, and I really like your quilt top....crepe myrtles are far from being my favourite, they send up suckers forever more and you just can't get rid of them!

Lin said...

Tree planting is always brilliant, any tree will do! The Caswell blocks are all looking gorgeous. That quilt top is looking great too, lovely against the wall. xx

loulee said...

The applique blocks look great all together. Your hearts pouch is lovely and a very useful size. I do love that finished top and your hexies.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Caswell looks fab. You are making good progress on Field Journal and your beige and taupe blocks are so effective. Love your hearts pouch xx

marina said...

what joy seeing your Caswell blocks. I did have a bit of ptsd seeing those jagged leaves, lol. I think after doing this block I did modify the next blocks that had those sort of leaves by making the dips a little more generous so they'd be easier to stitch. beautiful delicate hearts and your top looks fantastic. Always so happy to see your field journal progress!!

Susan said...

Those wiggly leaves look fiddly but the blocks look great...as do the hexagon blocks in the two colours.
A retreat? very exciting
Is the brown/grey one from jelly rolls?? what a fabulous pattern

Janice said...

Caswell is looking stunning. Funny, I was looking at my braided ruler and the fabrics I have put aside for it, as I am going on a retreat this weekend. Not sure if I will get to my quilt as I have plenty of other projects to work on. Your blokey quilt top is very effective.

Ondrea said...

More gorgeous projects done. Your FJ hexies are coming together so nicely and your applique is so beautiful. Love the colourways of that quilt top.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>