Saturday, June 1, 2024

May is over....

It's now June and officially the 'winter' months here ..... the cat is enjoying sunny spots (I have been trying to train him to move his tail more and do a bit of dusting whilst there - not working so far!!)


My UFO to work on in May was the embroidery....  I did manage to finish this section.....  



Now the table runner is 1/4 done!!! so lots more to do


This week the Quilt Group held its annual retreat at a centre about half an hour from where I live, so I attended during the days (most people stay there)

Those who wanted to participated in a swap for a table mat and this is the one I received


Here is a close up,  pieced back and then over-sewn with fun texture....


I did show this one before but this is the one that I had made


I sat there and blanket stitched my Blessings blocks... for hours and hours and I still have no finished blocks!!!  

My little machine does a lovely stitch but I did go and watch some other machines that have a tie off mode, a cutting mode and an automatic foot lift mode... and now I want a new machine!!!

Lots of little pieces and curves means slow stitching and lifting the foot to pivot ....and after each one I thread through the top thread and tie off at the back.

Good progress was made though and it was lovely to be there and chat to people in a different forum.

Righto, Gotto Go...... home day today and I will enjoy it!

Have a lovely weekend....


13 comments:

Jeanette said...

The table runner is looking good. Lovely placemats. Let me know if you have success with the cat dusting. :)

Chantal said...

Great progress on the table runner. It is so beautiful. I saw a little bird; I hadn't spotted him before. The placemat is a little piece of art; yours is just as lovely and calmer which I like. My cat has a very fluffy tail, so I asked him a long time ago, to dust the furniture he slept on. He dusted, fell asleep and when he was done napping, he left a lot of long dark strand fur behind. So I said, never mind the dusting. Dust is more discreet than your black fur everywhere. Thank you but no thanks. Lol. Enjoy! ;^)

Jennifer said...

Your table runner is very pretty! Cats do what cats do......

Lin said...

You have made good progress with your embroidery and it is looking lovely. Fun placemat that you received. xx

Barwitzki said...

Hello Fiona, I love coming to you because you always have fantastic craftsmanship to show... your embroidery... heavenly - the dream.
And the placemat you made for the exchange - with the handmade stitches - is fantastic. I love sewing small placemats or small blankets like this, I miss the quilting table on my sewing machine, I bought the machine when I started sewing bags :-))) Unfortunately it is not suitable for mounting a quilting table on it .
I know what it's like to dream about a new sewing machine... I'm so excited... what you decided :-))) A hug to you.

marina said...

the year is certainly flying by.... Amazing progress on your table runner, it's looks stunning!!

Julie said...

I think you have made lots of progress on the table runner Fiona & its looking wonderful. Yes when you have figured out how to teach cats to dust then please do let me know!!!

Ondrea said...

It is much more fun sewing with others. Great progress.

kiwikid said...

Mmm the cat needs more training I think!! Good to hear you enjoyed the retreat. Your table runner is so beautiful and you are making great progress. Lovely table mats. Good luck with the machine search.

Janice said...

Your table runner is coming along famously. So much work in it. My machine has a knee lift, which I love and does have a tie off and cut feature, but I still prefer to thread my ends to the back and weave under the stitching. So much neater and I feel more secure. I’m sure you will have a rush of finished blocks as you work through the different coloured threads.

Narelle said...

Cats find the most perfect spots.

Susan said...

Love both the table mats... interesting to add the texture...I hope your plate doesn't wobble...LOL

A retreat - locally??? interesting...I may ask questions about that ...but I'm glad you were able to go

A new machine??? my big one has a pivot - it is a great idea when appliqueing....my retreat machine has a cutter and good light - and is easy to carry - but no pivot (darn)
tell us if you get a new one....or even what you re considering....

dq said...

Your table runner is a true work of art!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>