Thursday, March 7, 2024

First week of March


Well, that first week of March went past very quickly!!!  Thank goodness temperatures are lower but I still wouldn't say its cool or Autumnal yet....

I got a new clock, a birthday gift..... it is so quirky and fun... The scissors hanging down act as a pendulum and move side to side on the seconds.... It doesn't tick tock but is nice and quiet and lives in my sewing room (of course).  I do love it...


I got sewing the blocks for a community quilt.... made great progress until my iron started sparking and swearing at me.... thus the pressing hasn't been completed till I make a trip into town tomorrow to purchase a new one!


Field Journal has come to the light again and I have self framed a few more.....


.. and the little hearts are all finished.  That large one in the middle had bullions all around the edge which I am very slow at.  Another rose had cast-on stitch which needs a lot more practice!  I also need to treat myself to a selection of good milliners needles....


The designer (crabapple hill) had them all stitched around the edge and cut out them put on some pretty background.  I thought I would leave mine as they are and perhaps turn it into a cushion or mini hanging...

Last month was my DIL's 40th birthday and of course I sent her a quilt....

The trees are pieced using Liberty Lawn and the stems appliqued - low volume background.  The pattern is The Avenue.



Quilting was reasonably simple to keep it soft and snug..... ribbon in the background and large tear shapes in the trees...


I kept the little border free and leaves in the final border



One of my favourite backings (actually a sheet from the swedish store which is a favourite spot of mine to find cotton backings)  The botanical theme is perfect.



It has arrived safe and sound in the UK and she is thrilled to have her very own quilt!

Righto, Gotto Go.... a friend is coming over so we can pin her quilt...  I better clear the table...

Have a lovely rest of the week....xx



15 comments:

Chantal said...

This is the greatest clock ever! Happy Birthday to you, sweet friend.
How rude of your iron to curse at you! Spoil yourself and get a very sassy one to go with the clock! That'll teach that stupid iron! Ha! FJ hexies are so lovely. I wouldn't cut the hearts either. I love the way it is and a mini wall hanging would be perfect IMHO. Great quilting on The Avenue. Enjoy! ;^)

Jeanette said...

That is a cool clock. The FJ hexies are lovely. If i'd done the heart stitch along i would also be inclined to leave it whole & make a hanging. The Avenue quilt is beautiful, love the quilting you did.

Jennifer said...

Love the clock....and your hearts are so pretty! Isn't it great when a quilty gift is appreciated?

Lin said...

I love the clock! The hearts panel is looking good. The Avenue is gorgeous, she must be over the moon. Gorgeous backing fabric too. We have one of those shops half an hour or so down the road, really must make the effort to get there, use to go regularly to the one in Bordeaux which was 2 hours away! xx

Maria said...

Love your clock and so good it doesn't tick.
Sweet Hearts that will make a nice little wall hanging.
Some more lovely FJ hexies.
What a beautiful quilt for your DIL.
Hmmm! my GD has those floral sheets......

Jeanna said...

So many pretty projects and a fun clock to have in your sewing room. The quilt you made for your DIL's birthday is stunning! I love those colors and the sheet made a perfect backing.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I love your reel clock. Such fun. Your hearts are lovely all together and Field Journal is so pretty. So love The Avenue and happy I got to see it for real. Sure to be treasured x

loulee said...

Lovely stitching and quilting. Cute clock too.

Janice said...

It must be the week for irons to die. Mine did too, but not as dramatically as yours. It’s nice to see more Field Journal hexies evolve and your daughter would have been thrilled with her quilt. Your hearts turned out beautifully. I agree that they look perfect as one panel.

Julie said...

Oh My- that clock is adorable Fiona. How perfect for your sewing room wall! The quilt you made for your daughter in law is just stunning - effective yet simple too. Love it!! xx

Karen S said...

Your clock is wonderful. Perfect for a stitcher!
The field journal hexies are lovely. I like the blue fabric used in the framing. Sets them off nicely.
Your Avenue quilt is a lovely gift. Beautiful work from you.

Susan said...

I have a similar clock - though mine is a sewingmachine- I love it too!

perfect backing for The Avenue -lucky DIL

Ondrea said...

I looove your clock! Where on earth did you find it? Never seen one before. Such a beautiful gift for your DIL's birthday!

WoolenSails said...

That clock is so fun and unique. Enjoyed seeing all the beautiful projects you have been working on.

Debbie

kiwikid said...

The clock is perfect for you! Lovely to send your daughter a quilt. Beautiful stitching too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>