Thursday, March 22, 2018

My flock......

..... of geese....

Left over fabrics can go a long way ......  I used backing fabric for the backgrounds and cut up all my left overs from the Anthology quilt.  It's taken a few sessions with the 'ChooseDay' girls to sew all these up.....  



It is a bit monotonous so I was glad to have company.  

I cut smaller pieces into coins and I will join them up with strips in between and add them to the sides.  It will still need wide borders to be big enough to back the quilt....

I think I like a flock of geese .... 

I used a 'no waste' method for the geese, which was nice and easy and certainly quick and eliminated a lot of trimming for me.  There are heaps of tutorials and video's but this page HERE is one I found useful. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also started on the backing for my Shimacho  quilt.  A much more simple way of using up left over fabrics - some of which I had quite large pieces.

I will join up these blocks with sashing next time we get together


Evening hand sewing has seen a few more circles come together..... 


These are all the ones I have done so far..... putting them together made me realise some of the 'charms' are not quite straight....


so they are all being trimmed down to 4 1/2" squares..... 


Something rather satisfying about a bunch of pretty trims....


20 comments:

Helen said...

Oh my...so many wonderful projects, I'm wondering if you ever sleep Fiona....lol...your backings are as interesting as the tops, love them all....well done.

Anonymous said...

Good morning my lovely friend ,wow you sure have been busy,loving your projects ,what a great way to use up scraps,your circles look like the moon with dark clouds passing over.I will send you an email later showing you my new FMQ aids cant wait to try them,hope you have a lovely day Fiona xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

You amaze me with your spectacular backings....well done! Your circles are looking lovely too x

Louise said...

That's a lot of geese! Are you sure they aren't breeding in the dark? Have you heard romantic honking at night? :) Your circles and backing are looking great, too!

WoolenSails said...

That is going to be a beautiful quilt and a lot of piecing. All of your projects are coming along nicely.

Debbie

Anthea said...

It's definitely a good idea to check with charms, I've had that happen too... Fiona all your work is looking amazing... wow-ee so much piecing & pressing going on for you... can't wait to see how you put all those geese together! Good thing they aren't the honking variety, LOL!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh I do like those geese!! And yes, there is always something satisfying about a pile of trims :) xx

kiwikid said...

Wow!! So many geese, they look amazing! Your other backing looks lovely too, you are so good at using up all the scraps!

Lin said...

Your geese look fantastic - thanks for the link to the tutorial. xx

Janice said...

You’re doing well at reducing and using your scraps. Great projects

Maria said...

Great gaggle of geese. I also use the no waste method.
Sew good to use up al the fabrics for your backings...
Lots of Circles there . The Shimacho blocks will be joined too soon.

Helen said...

Love you geese, wonderful use of fabrics.

Jane said...

I can't get over how many flying geese there are there! It's going to be a stunning back

Susan said...

Nor can I believe how many geese are flying around your place...a lot of work for the backing - but I guess you will end up with a reversible quilt....still drawn to those circles. . . .

marina said...

Wow! You are amazing! All those flying geese! They look fantastic, love the second backing you have started too. Lots of pretty circles too!

Karen S said...

Great value using up as much as you can on the back of a quilt. But you go above and beyond with the effort you put into making a backing. Very impressive.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Love the geese, something I've not tried yet, thanks for the link to the no waste method!

Chantal said...

Love your geese flying in straight formation. They aren't Canadian Geese but they are still cute. I haven't heard the Canadian Geese yet but some said they did. Some even say they saw some robins. Those are sure signs of Spring. Much better than the groundhog. Can't wait to see the big geese fly back south, meanwhile I'll admire yours. ;^) P.S. Love the picture of the trims too. :^D

Raewyn said...

I love your geese and awesome that you get straight onto your scraps..... amazing how much fabric we have left over sometimes, isn't it? I use that exact same tutorial for my FG units too.... I love that there is no waste :-) Your circles are looking good too, it's going to be a pretty quilt. And fun backing!!

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh I love all the geese.. ..... They look great on the wall ......

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>