Monday, February 27, 2017

Quilt Backings....

Last years big project was the finish of Sylvia's Bridal sampler which I did in Reproduction Civil War fabrics....


I've done a few quilts in these fabrics so I had gathered up quite a lot of smaller mixed pieces ... so I decided to make a heap of different blocks and use them for the backing....

Gosh - it took ages with no pattern.... measure cut sew trim repeat again and again....

But finally it's done and I love it..... I had some real backing in a green which was perfect to finish off and make it the right size -  


I don't make up all my backings but I do love it when I do....

This is one of my early quilts made from a layer cake..... Marina mentioned she had some pieces from the same range (I've forgotten what it was called but I just love the fabrics in it)


... so I made lots of different size pinwheels and put them together with some cream background....

It makes a lovely summer quilt on this side, and a winter quilt on the other side!


Another of my early quilts I made for practice when I learnt redwork.  This was a free design (Raggedy and Friends) from Kaaren at The Painted Quilt.  Kaaren is no longer blogging but she has generously left her blog and freebies available.....


Again there were pieces left over so I put them together and made up this scrappy backing....



When I am doing it I think I am mad... but when it's done I am thrilled with it....

Here's another view of my latest one....


What about you?  Do you do this?

Righto, Gotto Go...... Quilts to pat.....

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi my lovely friend,wow your quilts are amazing,i love everyone and how cute is your raggdy Anne one,well done ,it takes me years to make one little lap quilt,lol,hope your day is a good one Fiona.xx

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful quits and I love the green border.
I did a few of the designs from Karen's freebies, sad to see our friends lose their health lately.

Debbie

Susan said...

OMGosh - NO - I love how yours have turned out but I am flat chat getting tops together let alone making a back as well.....

Michelle Ridgway said...

I agree with Susan! But very envious of your beautiful 2 sided quilts just the same! Fabulous job. I do love your Sylvia's quilt xx

Jennifer said...

A quilt is always two-sided, even if the backing isn't pieced! I like to add interest to my backs.

Jeanette said...

Love your backing. I just stick with whole piece backing as getting the front finished is enough for me. 😊

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Just lovely....I would love to do this!

Maria said...

Beautiful backing you've made for your quilts.. I've pieced some of my quilts but not as intricate as yours.....

Anthea said...

Well aren't you the clever one?! These pieced backings look incredible Fiona... a work of art on both sides. I am way too lazy for doing anything like that - I love a good old wide back. The only time I've pieced a backing was in order to use as much as I could, from fq's I'd been gifted for my birthday.

sunny said...

Wow. I've pieced some backings, but certainly nothing as elaborate or beautiful as yours!

Chrissie said...

As usual your quilts are fabulous, so much time and patience and expertise goes into them, lovely xcx

Raewyn said...

Your backings are gorgeous - I especially love your latest one! Any backing piecing I've done has been very basic, insert a fabric strip to get the size correct! It is a glorious way to use your scraps and create a masterpiece!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

They are all beautiful, I must say I can never be bothered piecing the backs.. too lazy, but they do look lovely and a great way to use up leftovers.. xx

marina said...

Such beautiful quilts! Lovely to revisit some past lovelies too.
The pieced back is a great idea, I try to do this when I can.
Some fabrics I like to keep for fronts.

Karen S said...

That is amazing. I love the idea of doing it and your dedication. Yes, it is well and truly worth it when you get such a great result!!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Wow girl, the backs are as spectacular as the front!!!! I laughed at you saying when you're doing it you think you're mad, lol....I'd never get through it. Usually I grab a vintage sheet and throw it on the back - love the feel of them!

Louise said...

Your pieced backs are awesome, Fiona! I love two-sided quilts and am always happy when I can make an interesting back. On the other hand, I'm a bit lazy so if I can use a single piece backing on a baby or toddler quilt, I go that route! Shh, don't tell anyone, but I've been known to design those quilts so that one side is always shorter than 42"...

Chookyblue...... said...

I like the backing..

Sue SA said...

I love the idea of pieced backings, but never done a proper one...in too much of a hurry to finish the quilt! But given that I am over dealing with scraps, I think you have hit on a good solution for me, thank you!

newsurfiegirl said...

They do look gorgeous and it is so nice to be able to turn the quilt over and have a completely different look. You are very clever.

Jane said...

I did the Raggedy Friends quilt, it was one of the first I did. I use it on my bed from time to time

Janice said...

What a lot of work you have put into the backing......but really, it isn't a backing, it is just another front, which gives you twice the bang for your buck. Just lovely.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>