Friday, October 13, 2023

2nd Week of October


It has been a pleasantly busy week with sewing days .....

At the weekend I spent a day at a friends and did the tracing to start a new child quilt...... it is one I have had a kit of for a long time......

I miscalculated just how long tracing and cutting would take and just how much sticky paper stuff it would need.

There is no picture or indication of which fabrics go where with the kit and there weren't enough fabrics for some bits so I had to have a dig in my healthy stash..... a bit annoying but I guess that's what happens when you buy a kit at a good price off a destash which someone bought years before!

Nevertheless - I will enjoy doing it.... I will machine buttonhole stitch around the applique but the plan is to get all the blocks prepared first ..... I need more sticky paper stuff before any more happens


Tuesday at Quilt club I took another new project.... Sashiko 365 (no I won't be doing one a day but that is how many blocks there are)
Blocks are cut at 4 1/2".... My first job for it all was to go around all those edges to avoid fraying.  And then I need to mark grids for each block.  I am not doing it traditional as you may have noticed but got a linen colour I loved and that big hank of thread I was given by a friend....



Wednesday I went on the bus to Brisbane for the Quilt Show...... a lovely day was had with my friend Michelle - we spent hours drooling over the extraordinary quilts and raced around the shops so that we had time to sit and chat a bit..... a lovely day.... sorry - I neglected pictures!!!

Michelle gifted me some of her beautifully done eco-dyed card and bookmark...


It really is gorgeous - I will frame the card..... I know she had a witches pot brewing on her veranda for hours to make these.... love them - thank you

I also got gifted an early Christmas decoration which made me laugh out loud.... I am always such a grumpy grinch about Christmas and Michelle found me a grinch with a patchwork sack!  How perfect!


Thursday was Embroidery Guild day and I sewed one and a half leaves!


This is part of a tablerunner - Field Journal left me with a very healthy stash of Cottage Garden Threads and I thought this would be a good way to improve my embroidery as well as use up some of the threads....


Evening times has been the calming repetition of backstitching a picture on one colour thread...  I will always love this style I think....

Another pattern and preprint I bought years ago - I need to go and dig for a sweet Christmas fabric to border it and make into a wall hanging...


A few more crochet blocks are done... still need to thread the ends in....


.... and that has been my week!

I hope you all have a lovely lovely weekend.....

Righto, Gotto Go... thread those ends in and do a bit of a tidy up (not the house - the sewing room!)



11 comments:

Julie said...

You sure do keep busy Fiona & always work on such a mouth watering array of projects. I love it all as usual!! The gifts from Michelle are just amazing - she does such different & beautiful work. I did laugh at the Grinch though ... I hate to say it ... but it IS coming up fast!!!

Lin said...

A lovely busy varied week Fiona. Love the eco dying from Michelle and I bet you had a fun day. Love the grinch and your new table runner project is going to be gorgeous. xx

Jennifer said...

Ha ha.....love your Grinch, Fiona! You have had a busy week, haven't you?

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a fun day we had...my head is still buzzing from all those beautiful quilts. Love your new stitchery. You certainly have had a very busy time xx

Maria said...

What a busy fun filled week.
How cute is the baby applique quilt you've started.
So annoying when you run out of the sticky stuff, I buy it by a big 20mtr roll.
Wonderful day spent with Michelle and she gave some lovely gifts. Love the Grinch....
Beautiful embroidery and I stitchery does make a nice wall hanging.

Chantal said...

You had a great week, filled with friends and wonderful projects. The child quilt sounds like a lot of work but what a great block you have made. Wow! I don't know what eco-dyed is but it's beautiful! I love the table runner embroidery. I'm sure you will enjoy this one. Have a great day! ;^)

kiwikid said...

You sure had a wonderful week Fiona, Great to spend time with Michelle, your Grinch decoration is perfect! Michelle's eco dying is amazing! Beautiful table runner.

marina said...

never tire of seeing your beautiful stitching and that runner is a stunning project.
very cute Grinch decoration and the card is beautiful.

Pink Rose said...

Hi my friend ,oh I had to laugh just picturing Michelle on her veranda brewing her colours up in a cauldron lol,it did make me chuckle,how beautiful is the card and matching bookmark ,lucky lady.
You have been very busy my friend and you always do such beautiful work,well done and I am so happy that you and Michelle got to have a lovely day together 🩵🦋🩵

Karen's Korner said...

Another busy and productive week in the sewing room. Lucky you had a stash to dig in for the missing bits.

Karen S said...

Lots happening. very frustrating when a kit is not complete, but it does make you appreciate your stash even more.
The sashiko will be interesting to watch as you work on through.
Enjoy all the projects.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>