Friday, July 7, 2023

First week of July

This week I finished off the edges for my whitework.  The border is done with a double back stitch and the square around the centre design is cable stitch (reverse faggoting)

Yesterday I learnt a slightly different backstitch to add to the edging.


I did sew my shirt blocks together ....  it is so hard to get a balance of colours when it is like this but eventually I had to just sew them..... 

Two quilt tops done - different blocks with the same shirts..... next the quilting.  I have bought some lovely fluffy minky blankets so they will be very snug..... 


as soon as I had it down on the floor the cat came in to inspect.......  and destroy!!!


I have started sewing my self binding hexagons using the Field Journal embroideries..... there is quite a pile waiting to be done.....

Though very pretty liberty fabrics were included I decided I wanted a softer pallete with mine (so I will use the liberty fabrics for something else)

I do love it..... long long way to go....


This week I did some catch up on my monthly QAYG by On Williams Street.  The blocks are being made using the colours for RSC and the quilting by OWS instructions....


April, May and June.....



Fun learning some different quilting designs and she is helping with getting an eye in to not have to stop start but keep going into the next section....


Quilt Group have started a Mystery Quilt.....  I only agreed to participate because a couple of other friends said they would ... and I could get the fabrics ready chosen by the club as mine will be a Community Quilt...

First section is done... cutting and labelled!  I now have the first 'clue' so will start that next week


One of the embroidery ladies gave me a good tip for my hoop... to add bias around the edge so that it gives better grip....


It was a little bit fiddly sewing it but easier than I thought it would be ....   and it does make a difference.  

I am yet to get some nylon ribbon to add to the other part of the hoop.


So there we have my crafty week.....  

Righto, Gotto Go... It's a Friday sew day... morning with friends and afternoon with the quilting machine ......

Have a lovely weekend.....xx



25 comments:

Chantal said...

Love your whitework. So dainty! Is there more to do added or is it all done? When there are many pieces in one block, achieving balance tends to be a headache, but don't bother. Grandmothers didn't sweat the small stuff. Wink! I didn't know you had a cat? There was a bird in the house for a bit and now, a cat? Have I missed a few posts? He's taking his quilt inspector job very seriously, isn't he? Love, love, love your embroidery. It is fun to see your QAYG together. I can see how the quilting changes the block. Very interesting. Enjoy your Friday with friends. ;^)

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona oh my you do such beautiful Work ,doenst matter what you put your hand to ,it always looks awesome ,well done my friend 🌹🤍🌹

Jeanette said...

You have been very busy, all lovely projects. Love the whitework, looks wonderful. I'm guessing the quilt tops passed inspection. :) :). Have a lovely sew day.

Lin said...

Whitework looking lovely Fiona. Is it finished or is there more to do? Very nice shirt tops and the quilting is lovely. I have never 'sewn' bias round my hoops - I just flatten it out and wrap around securing with a couple of stitches at each end. Have fun with your new mystery project. xx

Jane said...

and what a week that was, lots of lovely projects. It seems lots has come together for this week, love them all

Jennifer said...

Well done on the whitework, Fiona....loving the Field Journal hexies too....sometimes you just have to lay out those quilt blocks and let them fall where they may, don't you.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Oh my are you a prolific creator! Is that first piece Hardanger? I've never done that but it is really lovely.
Love the quilt top made with shirts and the cat....too funny! Your embroidered hexagons are so delicate and precious. Your QAYG blocks are stunning. You are so talented! I know some people just wrap bias tape around their hoop but your method looks much more stable.
Have a great week and thank you for sharing all your beautiful makes!

marina said...

beautiful whitework
good to see you are getting your tops cat scanned.
seeing your field journal embroideries made up makes me love them even more than I did before
Love your rsc blocks too, great seeing the different quilting techniques.
look forward to seeing your mystery quilt unfold

Karen's Korner said...

Another productive week for you with lots of gorgeous results. Love those hexies. Glad to see that the quality control officer is giving your quilt the once over.

Julie said...

That whitework looks wonderful Fiona ... just love the simplicity of the colour palette. The Field Journals .. Oh MY!!! How pretty they look 💗💗 Love the cat quality controller !!

Maria said...

Beautiful work on your white work.
Both Shirt quilts will be lovely and cosy with the warm backing.
Gorgeous the way you have sewn your FJ stitcheries into hexies…will you be making them into a quilt?
The QAYG blocks look fabulous with your quilting.

Helenchaffin said...

I have a beagle that thinks it's snuggle time every I lay a quilt out lol luv the details on the white stitching

Susan said...

Your QAYG blocks must be proving to be a great learning experience....not that I thought you needed more learning. . but . .
LOL

Love a mystery quilt . . .will look forward to seeing it develop.

Animals love to help inspect our work!

Sharon Kwilter said...

The quilting on your QAYG blocks is really pretty. Nicely done.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oooh it's all so pretty! I somehow missed the QAYG by On Williams street, it looks like fun.. and OWS? What does that stand for?! xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your whitework is beautiful....well done you! The shirt quilts are great and so are your mystery blocks. The Field Journal blocks look so good as hexies..love them xx

Jeanna said...

Oh my goodness, Fiona! You had a very productive and creative week. I enjoy seeing all of your projects. Hope this week is a good for you.

kiwikid said...

You have been super productive Fiona! The shirt quilts are wonderful, good to see they have been cat scanned, it would be hard to have each block different with those fabrics.Your Field Journal blocks are beautiful, they look great finished that way.

Janice said...

All your projects are lovely. It’s nice to see Field Journal start to be made into the hexies. The quilting on your RSC blocks is so effective. Have fun with the mystery quilt. It makes life easy when the fabrics are already chose for the charity quilt.

Ondrea said...

A crafty week indeed! Love your whitework. Your hexies are beautiful! Those shirt quilts look great and it looks like your cat was being a bit playful. Have fun with the mystery quilt. The RSC blocks look so lovely.

Barwitzki said...

Oh, you have nice things in the works.
I'm excited.
Your whitework is great.
And the colors of the quilt are gorgeous.
I wish you a lot of fun... happy work and
Many greetings from Viola

Radka said...

Very busy lady! I love your embroidered hexies, so pretty.

Karen S said...

Beautiful stitching with your white work. And lots of patience.
The shirt blocks look really good together. Great idea to use the minkee.
I am loving those QAYG blocks.

Raewyn said...

Your whitework is looking good Fiona. When I saw a photo of your FJ hexies the other day I didn't realise that you'd swapped out the fabric - they are gorgeous. Great work on the shirt quilts. And Fabulous Work on the QAYG. I really must get back to mine - yours are very inspiring :-)

Chookyblue...... said...

Lots of lovely things to see here...........
great idea for the hoop.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>