Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Blocks and blocks...


Yesterday us girls sewed another 4 blocks in Sylvia's Bridal Sampler....

Queen Charlotte's Crown (22 pieces)
Rambler (33 pieces)
Rolling Star (28 pieces)
Rolling Stone (29 pieces)

We have now done 130 of the 140 blocks and these are made up of 4209 pieces 

It's hard to believe we are on the last 10 now - all being well we will have them all done by the end of the month

Christine and Lyn both came over with their vintage Featherweight machines, Christine's is the white one and she has been using hers for some time... Lyn has just got hers and it was her first outing to sew these blocks with us.

As you can see we spread out a fair bit - very much a working day with tea/coffee on the go all the time

They really are dear little machines and piece beautifully - it's really fun having them over 



I have started with some sashing - as my blocks have not all turned out perfect 6 1/2 " I am adding sashing around all edges and trimming back to 7 1/2" so they fit well - I think with the neutral sashing any variations in the sizes will be disguised


The Splendid Sampler blocks come in at 2 per week - with the occasional bonus block as an extra

These are some of the latest one's I have done .... they truly are a set of Sampler with different techniques and styles - great fun 


For my handwork I have started appliqueing the stitcheries on In My Garden (Natalie Bird) - they really are very sweet - there are hexagons to add also...... hmmmmm


My traditional Mothers Day dishtowel from my daughterwholivesnearme arrived early for me this year.  She always finds such fun ones...


Righto, Gotto Go and be Badass.......


21 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Would love one of those machines......great work on the blocks.....

Anonymous said...

good morning my lovely friend,wow all your blocks are amazing Fiona,so much work in each one.
Its always fun to sew with friends you are always guaranteed an awesome day of fun and laughs.
Hope your day is a good one my friend xx

Anonymous said...

oh i forgot i love your new teatowel,your daughter has your sense of humour,lol xx

cozykoza32a@gmail.com said...

You have a wonderful way with colour.
Love your blocks.
still wish I lived closer.
Kathleen Mary
https://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

Chantal said...

That's a lot of pieces in one quilt. Can't wait to see them all get together. With the fabric you've picked, it will be such a pretty Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I didn't know there was such a thing as a white Featherweight! Wow, it's a pretty machine. I had to laugh at your daughter's gift. I love her sense of humour. ;^)

WoolenSails said...

I love your blocks, makes me want to do a quilt with just piecing, just need to get my brain back;)

Debbie

Maria said...

All your blocks are great and can't beleive you only have 10 more to do of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler... Will you then be starting Dutch Treat???
I'm trying to catch up with my S.S blocks...
Love that Teatowel !!!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Gorgeous blocks! A hive of activity around your table....the machines look lovely. I know that I will have the same problem with my SS blocks.

Jennifer said...

Lots of pretty blocks! The neutral sashing is a really good idea because it's difficult to be accurate with so many pieces in a block. Now - I am very taken with the tool/scissors caddy behind the black Featherweight, any info on that?

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Fiona,
your blocks are so beautiful, I am full of admiration. Love everything about them, color, fabrics, your wonderful sewing. What an awesome quilt project.
Have a fun Mother's Day.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

All the blocks are fabulous Fiona....great idea about the neutral sashing! I had no idea there was a white Featherlight!

Anthea said...

hhmmm, badass is one thing I would never have thought to call you Fiona!! Love the towel, what a great tradition.
all the blocks are coming along beautifully... I think your idea with fudging the sashing/sizing is clever... and just 10 blocks to go, what an EPIC achievement, good on you

Lin said...

Can't believe you are nearly at the end of all those blocks - they look great with the sashing. xx

Jeanette said...

Beautiful blocks. Love that teatowel. Hugs,xx

kiwikid said...

He he love the tea towel!!! Will go with that V dub you were looking at getting!! Loving your blocks,fancy only 10 to go!!! So good and motivating to be sewing with others!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Those blocks are just lovely, Fiona! Are they from the quilt books set? Love the tea towel xxx

Helen said...

Love you SBS blocks, not far to go now. !!!! Great tea towel !!

Jane said...

wow, you're going to miss this when it's finished, it's going to be a stunning quilt

Elyte said...

Some lovely blocks on show. Well done in keeping up with your projects. Great dishtowel, good to see that you don't go unnoticed.

Karen S said...

Only 10 to go!!! How exciting. Working together has really proved to be a positive step.
And well done keeping up with the sampler blocks, too.
Love your daughter's tea towel selection.

marina said...

Your new blocks for both projects are amazing,
Well done
Love the fabrics in your Natalie bird quilt. Can't wait to see it all together.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>