Saturday, July 4, 2015

FNWF and FMQ challenge...

Thanks Cheryll for letting us use your place for FNWF whilst you are away sitting by the seaside!!!  Tough gig for you!  I see you still got lots of sewing done...

This is how I started the evening.... with a quilt on my lap (cos its a bit chilly here) and binding clips into the green binding... and little Miss T needs her Teacup stitched....


Now we go back a few days....

As you know I am doing the Free Motion Quilting Challenge hosted by Darlene at QuiltShopGal...
and THIS MONTH our guest tutor is Diane Gaudynski. (who's quilting adventures I have followed for some time)

I chose to do Option 3 which is from her book Quilt Savvy ... which I duly ordered and had to wait for it's arrival.

In the meantime I knew that I wanted to use one of my recently purchased Hungarian embroidered doilies so I made my quilt sandwich and sewed the doily on carefully around the edges of the embroidery

There are just amazing colours and work in this doily... my background is a pale sage green which just disappears in a picture with those colours in the embroidery


... once the book arrived I sewed the spines for my feathers leaving Diane's little earbud shape at the end... I did draw out a basic shape with the dissolvable blue pen for guidelines


.. this is the picture from the book which I was using as my inspiration... love the feathers and her Diane-shiko stitch at the base.


... after quite a few hours this is the stitching I had.... feathers, echo quilting, diane-shiko and mini-stippling in the centre

doing the feathers this way with a space inbetween and echo around the outside was new to me... they are not all symmetrical by any means but close enough


.. as you saw I did the binding last night and this morning I stuffed the cushion and ta-da....

(the colour is still not right)


... just a simple envelope back with a pale green polka dot ...


... looks good on the recliner...


I love upcycling old doilies ..

Thank you Diane for your tutorial and thank you to Darlene for these challenges... it's lucky you left June open for a bit longer as I really battled with time this month getting the book here... now onto July's challenge...

These challenges can be joined anytime and for people of any level so if anyone else wants to practice, practice, practice this is the way to do it.  I am getting a nice selection of cushions made... I may have Christmas sorted?????

It was still reasonably early in the night when I had finished the binding - so Miss T got her duck egg blue polca dot teacup sewn...


... and I still had time for a bit of red thread....



Righto, Gotto Go... I love weekends... and a cold frosty start means an amazing sunny day and I've got some blog visits to make..... 

“Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.” 
― Albert Schweitzer


28 comments:

Karen S said...

Amazing work with the quilting. love the idea of incorporating the doily into the mix. There is so much detail in your beautiful work. And it sits so flat! I enjoy seeing your progress photos.
And you squeezed in some stitchery time as well!!

Narelle said...

You were really steaming along last night with lots achieved ... stunning cushion ... your FMQ is amazing!

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG the quilting is amazing........how long ago was it your started doing this stuff........you have done so well................

Cheryll said...

It was wonderful having your company last nite. Bit cool where I was too...but still a great nite sewing with lovely ladies! Xox

Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona,wow I just love seeing what you do with your FMQ,you are amazing my friend with what you do,Thankyou for sharing,I might check Darlenes blog out. Oh Miss T is such a cute block and great to see you got your binding done too,hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend xx

Jane said...

I love what you are doing with your doilies. Every time I see one, I keep thinking, I'm going to have a go. They're beautiful

Susan said...

Amy goodness your practice is paying off, your quilting is stunning.....but where's the bunny? That little mouse under his quilt is adorable.

Susan said...

That was meant to be My, not Amy.....

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow...that is totally amazing.....xx

Jeanette said...

Very stunning. Love it. Hugs, xx

marina said...

what a very productive night! such gorgeous quilting.

Tomomi McElwee said...

Lovely feather and I like the centre piece you put in. Very pretty!

Cath said...

I always enjoy seeing your quilting endevours Fiona......very inspiring!

kiwikid said...

The quilting on your cushion is amazing!! Wow!!! The centre piece is beautiful. Little bear is so pretty.

Maria said...

Fantastic quilting Fiona..... Love the cushion..
The alphabets Bears are looking sew pretty..

Gina said...

I love the cushion. Your quilting is amazing

Melody said...

You are amazing, Fiona. Oh so talented.

Sue SA said...

beautiful work again, you must have a lovely collection of cushions by now!

retdairyqueen said...

That cushion is divine Love the way you have used the doyley
Your letters are coming along nicely
Well done

Cheryl said...

You do such beautiful quilting Fiona. Your little bears are coming along beautifully

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Fiona,
wonderful quilting, love your pillow, and the T stitchery is just too cute.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Käthe said...

Was für ein wunderschönes Kissen und der kleine Bär ist ja zu niedlich !
Liebe Grüße
Käthe

Josie said...

Fiona your quilting is amazing! Looks fabulous surrounding that beautiful doily. So pleased that Little Miss T Bear got her teacup too. She is so pretty. Keep up the beautiful work.....xxx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Wow!!!!! Your quilting is amazing. Love how your beautiful cushion turned out.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Your FMQ is beyond gorgeous!!! That cushion cover is just beautiful, hon. You are amazing!

Elyte said...

Stunning cushion, beautiful work Fiona.

Wendy said...

Oh wow Fiona, your quilting on your cushion is just beautiful, you have made the most of the lovely doily. I love the alphabet stitcheries too, so pretty. xx

Lin said...

Another stunning piece of quilting Fiona and that doily made a great centre piece. xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>