Saturday, August 16, 2014

FNSI and another birthday....

Wendy hosted us for FNSI even though she has had a very busy week  - thank you very much 

This time we had young widget over so sewing time was less than usual but I did finish off cutting up my shirts for the shirt challenge once he had gone off to bed...


... I did make a bit of a mess .....


I think that is the hard part of the shirt challenge, cutting seams, pressing, cutting into workable blocks....

..... meanwhile....

Another birthday I was late for (facebook should send reminders 3 weeks before!) is Christine....

we sew together in real life and I know she loves miniature and she loves soft and pretty

This piece is 10" square (total) and made from an old doily and put onto a plain pink background .....


... carefully sewn around every edge of the doily and then filled with little mini feathers

I marked a grid on the pink and did mini orange peel loops all over it...

... and finished off with some beads to add a little bit of bling....


... and added a scented candle ......


A little while ago Anthea was doing a clean up of some books... I put my name down for the Anni Downs book but lost out for being too slow.....

Imagine my surprise when this arrived in the post... the winner of the book, Jeneta, has opted to send it to me saying when she saw it she wanted to win it for me as she thought is was just the sort of thing I would like ....

I'm blown away.. thank you so much Anthea... and Jeneta... I can't wait to make something from it...  (I just love those little fat sheep on the hillside!)


It's the weekend... there are strong predictions of some good rain... I do hope they are right.... so far damp and cold and windy (for me that's like sleet!!!)

28 comments:

Helen said...

Beautiful work on the doily ! How nice of Janeta to pass the hook onto you !!!

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful piece with the doily and a nice gift idea. And I see you were blessed with your own surprise gift from a friend, what a lovely thing she did for you.

Debbie

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Bubz...what a great doily....enjoy the book

Lyn said...

Your use of the doily is just gorgeous-an interesting assortment of shirt fabrics, and how lovely of Jeneta to send you the book..simply the best of surprises.

Karen said...

Lovely work with the doiley. It has turned into a wonderful candle mat. Beautiful work.
Hope the shirts are going well.

Elyte said...

Enjoyed catching up on your posts. Eclairs 10/10 and the same for the little elephant quilt.
I have my shirts ready for the challenge. A very beautiful gift for Christine.

Jane said...

I love what you've done with that doily, what a fabulous gift

Christine said...

Oh I had hoped to get a blog post in before you but real life... I don't know if you can imagine just how much I love your gift!

Maria said...

You got some gorgeous blocks from the shirts Fiona.
I bet Christine loved her beautiful gift ??
Aren't crafting friends just sew thoughtful. was sew nice of Jeneta to send the book from Anthea on to you..

marina said...

what a lovely neat pile of blocks from your shirts. I have to start with mine too. What size are your blocks?
wow, wow, wow Christine's gift is absolutely amazing. You have outdone yourself with this quilting and I love the little beads added too.such a beautiful effect.
One good turn deserves another, how lovely of Jeneta.

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a lovely surprise.... lots of happy stitching ahead. Your pretty mini is gorgeous! Watching your shirt challenge with interest.

retdairyqueen said...

Love the doyley quilt
Bloggers are the best

Jeanette said...

Love the doily quilt. Just gorgeous. What a wobderful surprise. Hugs, xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona oh I love the table topper you made it's gorgeous,what an awesome gift for your friend,and what a lovely friend Jeneta is,that's pretty special,enjoy your weekend my friend.xx

Jennifer said...

What a gorgeous doily, you have recycled it beautifully! How sweet to give you the book, it's very 'Fiona'. We've had some rain today, not much but every little helps......more on the way too.

Chantal said...

Amazing work on the little doily. The beads make it look so rich and princess like. Great work. You have the best of friends. Enjoy the book.

Susan said...

Love your doiley makeover. How kind of Jeneta!!
I need early reminders too- so I put them in my email system with a reminder well before....esp for birthdays at the beginning of the month!!

Sheila said...

What a lovely gift for Christine , you really transformed that doily into a beautiful piece . How sweet to receive that book from Jeneta , I know you will enjoy making some treasures from it . Hugs Sheila

Sue SA said...

Wonderful detailed quilting, lovely to see the doily at the centre of attention. Good work with the shirts, love the colour combination also. Nice pressie!

Christine M said...

Fiona, that table topper is magnificent! I'm sure Christine wasn't disappointed when she opened your parcel up. How lovely of Jeneta to send you the book.

Cath said...

Oh Fiona, I am blown away with your quilting on that little quilt.....stunning! I wonder if you got any substantial rain on the range. We are quite happy with what we got here on the coast.

kiwikid said...

Beautiful mini quilt - your quilting is amazing!
Well done with the shirt cutting up - I have to do mine this week! How lovely to get the book sent on to you - aren't there some wonderful people in blog land!!

Rosie said...

Love the mini and what a great idea to use the doily. Love it.

Sisbabestitches said...

What a lovely mess you made :)

Oh my, Christine's mini is stunning, I have no other words.

What a fabulous and generous thought of Jeneta's! Such a beautiful way to "win" the book you wanted :)

Cheryl said...

Going to be interesting to see what comes out of those shirts Fiona. Love what you did with the doily - such a lovely idea

KaHolly said...

Beautiful, beautiful work. That doily is exquisite. I could use a couple of rainy days. It's been far to nice outside for any sewing!! (No, I'm not complaining.)

Lin said...

It's amazing how long it takes to cut away seams isn't it! Love the doily - you make such pretty things with them and how lovely to receive that unexpected gift! xx

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Glad to see that your organised for the Shirt challenge....it will be interesting to see what you'll come up with.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>