Friday, January 26, 2024

Back Home - January


A fabulous family time was had.... very very cold (for me anything below 15 is cold! and we ranged between -6 and 10) No snow but certainly frozen ground and puddles...

I took very few pictures, preferring to bask in family time but I am gathering some from others as it is lovely to have some memories...

Too much time in airports and aeroplanes to get there and home and I am slowly getting back to feeling a bit normal (though I did wake at 2am today!) Jet lag and very sad to leave the family takes a bit of a toll on me....

I didn't do as much stitching as I thought I might but these 6 sashiko blocks were done.....
(from Sashiko 365 - 4" blocks)


A bunch of crochet blocks were completed as these are nice and easy and a crochet hook is fine on a plane .....


My Secret Santa (grandson) bought me a lovely 200g ball of bright yarn (as well as a very nice bottle of gin!)so I immediately started knitting (needles donated by 94 year old Mother In Law) My lovely rainbow scarf was completed before we left


My purchase for the trip - a book I have wanted with a goal to learn this.... same author as 365 Sashiko (Susan Briscoe)


On returning I had some lovely Christmas post, thank you so much Karen, Raewyn, Cheryll and Sue....


Of course I can't just sit and snooze and this quilt had been quilted before I left so I did the binding (front and back by machine). 


The blocks were printed on the fabric and I had fun quilting them...


You can see it better on the back....


So that's my first 2 finishes for the year....

I was very excited to find that our Pomegranate tree has some fruit (first time ever) and I hope they will go well....


My longarm has been loaded and I have started quilting.... I have an online course by Rachelle Denneny which I have done before but I wanted to repeat as the other one was very scrappy....  Each block is quilted differently and I thought it would be a good way to get the feeling of the machine and arm movements back.....

Going slowly as the designs are really quite small and I am really quite wobbly but it is great fun...


Righto, Gotto Go - those grey blocks are calling for attention...  special thoughts to those friends in North Queensland affected by the cyclone.... keep safe...xx

Have a lovely rest of the month....


13 comments:

Chantal said...

Welcome back home. Love your new rainbow scarf! I have no idea how you can knit waves like that. Crochet, I get it but knitting waves? Nope! It is gorgeous! Love the quilt too, and your wonderful quilting. Have fun with the long arm lessons. ;^)

kiwikid said...

Welcome back home, you are busy already! Weather that cold is a bit of a shock to the body isn't it!! Lovely scarf.

Karen's Korner said...

Welcome home and settling back into routine.

Jennifer said...

Welcome back, Fiona! Love that rainbow scarf, what wonderful memories it will bring every time you wear it.

Lin said...

I love the rainbow scarf - perfect holiday knitting! Nice first quilt finish for the year - beautiful quilting. The new book looks exciting! And lovely post on your return. xx

Maria said...

Welcome home. It would be hard to leave your family but great you also have family here in Australia.
You have made a good start on your projects .
That’s a lovely colourful scarf.

Jane said...

so glad you had a great time with your family and you are now home safe. What a coincidence, just read another blog and she was trying kogin buttons

Karen S said...

It sounds like you had a lovely time with your family. And managed some work on projects. Your scarf is gorgeous. That ball of wool was a perfect gift.
It is a smart idea to get in a bit of practice with your quilting before jumping in the deep end. Even just getting the binding done on your quilt is a step in the right direction.

loulee said...

Welcome back. Great to see that you kept yourself busy. Love the scarf.

Narelle said...

Lovely to read of your adventures ... if only we had a time machine for travel xx
You've certainly jumped straight back into creating...gorgeous quilting!

Barwitzki said...

It's wonderful that you had a wonderful trip with your loved ones.
I saw pomegranates in Spain - in Granada - the city was named after them. Wonderful fruits - wonderful climate.
Your rainbow scarf has become great.
And your quilted blanket is very fantastic ... you have quilted wonderfully. I am happy to see.
Many greetings to you.

Susan said...

Your grandson chose well...handy to be able to borrow the needles too.
The quilting on the wedges will keep you busy for a bit.

just as well, you can now do crafty things on planes and in airports... it's a long trip...

Janice said...

Such a newsy post. You did well to get any crafting done while away. The scary is lovely. Well picked gift. Have fun getting back into your quilting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>