Friday, June 23, 2023

Third week of June

We had a lovely few days up Northwards in Bundaberg to watch footie (touch) .... this is Widget who is a tall 14 year old now.  His team came in about 6th.

Lovely weather 


Lots of long walks on the beach which we could see from our house accommodation


Hubz and I went for a walk along the river side - this river flooded 2 times in 3 years with devastating impact on the town in 2010 and 2013 - you wouldn't know it now.


Bundaberg is famous for it's Rum Distillery - it is a big sugar growing region.  Of course we had to visit ... and taste.  I am not a Rum drinker but I did like the Chocolate and Coffee Rum liqueur and a bottle came home with us.




There happens to be another distillery in town and in between footy games we visited another....


loved all the barrels along the wall....


Of course we had to taste - and a lovely bottle of Gin came home with us....


There was lots of these wild Banksia plants on the coastal roadside..... they are about 12-15 cm long (for my non Aus readers)


The seedpods are just as interesting as the flowers....



We had a walk around the Botanical gardens.... this is the trunk of a hairy she-oak.... made me think of the Gruffalo.... amazing plant adaption.



My daughter had found a lovely isolated house for us to stay - I was most impressed they had these lovely throws - minky on the back and nice and simple and soft and cuddly for the cool evenings..... I think I want to do something like this too.


I did go to sewing at club on Tuesday and finished the binding on this quilt - good to have it on my lap as it was a cold day ....


I quilted it all over in big feather flowers....


love the backing that I had for it.....


A few tarts were stitched whilst we were away....


and this week I have been appliqueing pies to backgrounds.... the tarts will go over where 4 backgrounds meet...



Righto, Gotto Go.... it's that time of day to have a glass of my nice new Gin and get my hand sewing out.... more pies to applique!

Have a lovely weekend.....



12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Here's a piece of totally useless trivia for you: did you know that the song 'Along the road to Gundagai' was originally going to be 'Along the road to Bundaberg'? However - the river in Bundaberg didn't have enough syllables to make the rhyme work.....so, Gundagai on the Murrumbidgee River it was. What a fun week you have had, Fiona!

Janice said...

Your trip to Bundy sounds rather lovely. Some nice souvenirs brought home. I love your simple quilt that you have just completed. Was it made with a layer cake? Good to see you made time to work on some pies and tarts while you were away.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Looks like Bundy impressed. How wonderful to have a house to stay by the shore. Sounds like you have some tasty tipples to enjoy at home. I love your Aqua quilt...so fresh and pretty! Well done to your young footy player xx

Maria said...

Lovely time had in Bundy. I’m sure you’ll enjoy your treats you purchased.
Nice Aqua finish and good to have had your pies to work on.

Chantal said...

Lovely place to visit. Love the scenery. Chocolate and Coffee Rum liqueur? Now you got me interested. Almost sounds too good to be through as I love chocolate, coffee, AND rum! I need to sniff around to see if we have that in Canada. Love the picture of the barrels too. Banksia: it has leaves and pistils? No petals? We have coneflowers here but they never grow this big. Fascinating plant. The seedpods look like horseshoes in this picture. Nature is fantastic. Congrats on your aqua finish. It's serene. Love it and the back too. Gorgeous! Are all the tarts the same size? Looking forward to seeing this one grow. Enjoy! ;^)

Julie said...

What a wonderful place to visit & stay at Fiona. Look at that blue sky! How wonderful. I love the rum barrels & would quite like a few of those though they can keep the contents. Though the rum you purchased does sound rather nice!

Lin said...

Nice quilt finish. Looks like a great trip - love the pictures, the Banksia is amazing. Enjoy your gin. xx

Susan said...

ha ha - I wondered what took you up that way! I too love the Chocolate and Coffee Rum liqueur. How lovely to stay somewhere with quilts for you to get inspiration from . . as if you needed it.
Good work on the Pies & Tarts. . .

marina said...

what a lovely little get away with some refreshing stops!
love your finished quilt it looks so crisp and fresh

beautiful no calorie tarts. a pretty hand project.

Ondrea said...

Hmmm, Gin and sewing? Lol,I hope you can sew straight. That liquer sounds yummy. Love your finished quilt and the backing is perfect. Pies are looking good too. Lots done .

WoolenSails said...

It looks like a beautiful place to take a trip and fun to be able to see Widget play footie. Beautiful quilts in the works.

Debbie

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG widget has grown...... Looks like a lovely spot to have a short break....... Would love to go to the Bundy rum factory one day........
Lovely quilt .... Good to be finished......

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>