Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Catching Up and Cleaning Up


My little blackwork sampler has the 6 lollies done (sewing with friends and we are doing 4 a month)


As you can see I have done a few extra borders... I find it easier to just use up thread that I have out....  These little designs I do find quite challenging and have to concentrate on placement for all those little stitches.  I am using Aida cloth but most of the others are using linen - I really admire that as it must be even more concentration! 

Whilst cleaning out some drawers I found some lengths of dress fabric I had kept.... I'm not sure what the fabric is .... but I liked them and decided to make a couple of my ever faithful Bondi tops....



It's still too cold to want to wear them but they will get a work out in a few months...

Then I found a bunch of pieces I had made up using scraps .... so I quilted and bound them and now I have some new tray mats ... and a mug rug!


This is the reason for the big clean up in my sewing room.....


Handiquilter have brought out an affordable no bells and whistles long arm machine on a smaller frame  - I have wanted one for ages but could not justify the expense.  This one was made for the home quilter...  Not computerised so I have to learn to drive it......

However, it's like learning a whole new language... whilst I felt fairly proficient moving my hands around to make designs I am struggling using that bullhorn steering handles!!


lots of kinks and starts and lack of small motor control for me..... I hear it does get better with practice but at night I worry I made a poor decision....


Today, I took out a little quilt and worked on just large loops... a lot of the circles are kinky but it will hold together....  maybe a little dog would enjoy it????


Wish me luck.....  

Righto, Gotto Go... time for practice, practice, practice....


14 comments:

Jeanette said...

Nice machine Fiona. I'm sure you will be doing your beautiful quilting once you get the hang of it soon with practice. Love the tops & your place mats.

Karen's Korner said...

I am sure you will master the art and enjoying your new toy soon.

Janice said...

I’m impressed that you finished some projects before playing with your new toy. I can imagine it will be quite a different feel using the long arm and frame. Good luck playing with it to get comfortable with it.

Terry said...

Your blackwork sampler is beautiful! :0)

Karen S said...

I admire your patience with the blackwork. It is looking great.
Well done with all your clean out finds. You have been busy.
And how exciting! A new quilting machine. Please keep reporting on your progress. I am really interested to see what you think of it.

Lin said...

Blackwork looking lovely Fiona. I am sure it is just a matter of patience and practice with those bullhorns - afterall, you didnt learn your other quilting skills overnight, or any other skill for that matter. Good luck. xx

Kathleen said...

You’re so skilled at all things quilting that you’ll master the handiquilter. I started with loop-de-loops and large meanders. Only did that for a long time. Little by little, I got brave and did more. I’m still nervous to start. But I’ve learned to accept my wobbles and imperfections and to have fun.

Susan said...

I think Lin summed it up well - nothing is learned overnight - it will take practice and perseverance because now you are moving you - not moving the quilt.
good luck - I hope you settle into it easily.
You might need a lot of practice pieces.

Cheryll said...

You'll master it Fiona... and have FuN quilting even more designs... xox

Maria said...

Your blackwork is lovely ….
It’s great cleaning up and making new tops from the fabrics you found and using the scraps for you mats…
You’ve waited a long time to get your long arm machine and it won’t be long and your master it.. have fun !,

kiwikid said...

Wonderful black work and your tops are lovely. I am sure with a bit more practise you will have mastered the new machine. You will be off and creating beautiful patterns in no time.

WoolenSails said...

Your work is always so beautiful, my stitches seem to be more wonky as I age, lol.
Those tops are beautiful, and love the fabrics you used. I have a sit down quilter, still haven't used it. I Love free motion but hate messing with machines so I need to get the tension right, too used to my electronic machine with perfect tension.

Debbie

Louise said...

New machine! So exciting! I know you'll improve quickly and all those years of FMQ will be a great help :)

loulee said...

Oh I'd love a wee machine like yours.
You are doing an amazing job, don't be so hard on yourself. And you will find that it gets easier with time and practice. Just relax and enjoy the process.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>