Sunday, August 2, 2020

Sunday


It's a stunning winter day here.... the sun is shining and no wind.... perfect.

Last weekend Hubz and I took a drive to the south of Brisbane to the swedish shop...

... a bit of a cold damp day so was good for driving and being indoors


I took my crochet blanket to work on in the car, I am starting to go around the border....


First stop was the cafe for some sustenance...


I wanted bed-linen and towels so that was the main purpose of the trip.... 

I did add these two doona covers which are going in my sewing space to be used as quilt backings


hand stitching this week has been these two little stitcheries... 


... and my sock is growing... this has been a useful one to do whilst chatting online to family... 


I had a load of washing and when I was bringing it in yesterday I notice this guy on the line.... he stayed there peering at me... some of the washing was literally inches from him...


This is the Australian Tawny Frogmouth.... they have a lovely whooping noise they make at night


Many people mistake them for owls, but they are more closely related to the nightjar...


they really are quite snooty characters... looking down his beak at this mere human!  Normally preferring to roost in a tree as you can see wonderful camouflage...  once the sun went down he went off to the gum tree and started whooping ... maybe looking for a partner

Righto, Gotto Go.... messing about doing all sorts of fiddly little things that need to be done..... have a lovely day....



16 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love cooler, sunny days. We are still hot but camping near the ocean, so tonight there is a nice cool breeze.
Love that bird, you have so many interesting varieties where you live.

Debbie

Cheryll said...

A good outing is good for the soul too.
LoVe your friendly visitor...xox

Jennifer said...

We've had a tawny visiting here.....they are such amazing birds! Alas, we live a very long way from the Swedish shop. Perhaps that's just as well.

Jane said...

I saw the picture you posted and thought it was an owl, thank you for the extra info. You can see how perfectly camouflaged it would be in a tree

Karen's Korner said...

Fabulous photos of the frogmouth. You are lucky to be able to look down whilst in the car....something I am not able to do.

Chookyblue...... said...

I had some breed for a few years in a tree out the back....was lovely to have the family grow each year.....They didn't come back last year so not sure whats happened to them........
Sounds like a lovely day out........

Maria said...

Lovely crocheted rug you worked on on your trip to Brisbane...Great Donna covers for Quilt backings...
Sweet stitcheries. Good progress with the sock...
Great photos of the Twany.....

Lin said...

Sounds like a nice trip and those two covers look pretty. Beautiful stitching and that bird looks amazing! How lovely to be so close. xx

Louise said...

What a regal looking bird! I'd never heard of this species. Sounds like you had a nice little shopping trip, too. I hope people are mostly wearing their masks as you are out and about :)

Michelle Ridgway said...

Good gathering from the swedish shop. Gee your rug is looking great. They are sweet little stitcheries. How wonderful to have a Tawnie visitor x

Cheryl D. said...

Lovely picture of the bird. At first glance I wasn’t quite certain what I was looking at. Very different from the birds we have in my little part of the planet. So thank you. I’ve learned something quite interesting today. Going to look up more info on this little guy this morning while I enjoy my coffee. Have a great day.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona oh look at that beautiful blue sky ,you show off,lol,glad you had a lovely day with hubby.i love the colours in your blanket.Those doona covers will make such pretty backings and how cute are those little stitcheries.
Wow great to see the frogmouth up so close,stay safe my friend xx

kiwikid said...

Great to see you had a wonderful day out. The room a covers will make great quilt backing. Your stitcheries are cute and your are making great progress with your blanket and sock. Very special to have a visit from the Tawny Frogmouth, I am Dee if he thought to sit very still, you would not see him 😁😁, hopefully he stays near by and finds a mate.

kiwikid said...

I am Dee 🤣🤣🤣 should read I wonder...oh dear another finger fumble!!

Karen S said...

What fascinating visitors you have at your place. I am really surprised it sat there all the time you were nearby. Obviously very content.
Great choice with the doona covers. Perfect backings.
Sweet little embroideries, too.

Raewyn said...

Wow, that's incredible that the Frogmouth stayed there like that for you to photograph him. Is he normally nocturnal and possibly sleepy? Cute little stitcheries and great progress on your socks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>