Thursday, June 4, 2020

Winter stitching....


Winter has started.....  lovely to have the fire burning, the handmade socks on, home made soup, flannel pj's, ugg boots and jumpers....  as we have a relatively short dry winter I quite enjoy the change in the seasons here....

I stitched the bluebirds a while ago, but realised the picture was hiding


Both of these are embroideries from Field Journal.... some threads are used several times but each embroidery has one new colour... the blue above and 'eggplant' is the one in the flowers below...


I like the wreath, maybe it appeals to a sense of balance

I have sewn together my One Block Wednesday blocks.... these blocks were sewn as part of a stitch-a-long last year but have been languishing in a box


I made quite a lot less than most people but I am happy with how I have put it together....  though strong colours and such small blocks does make my eyes go funny.....  it feels like I am doing one of those colourblind tests....

So a new flimsy for my Quilting Queue.... lap size and I won't be adding a border...

there were some blocks that I couldn't fit into my stripes so I have joined them.... they will become new placemats/traycloths for me and Hubz...


that has meant all the blocks are used.... these blocks finish at 4"

meanwhile space on my design wall has filled up.... I can machine sew as and when I get a few minutes.  I do seem to make such a mess when I am choosing bits of fabric....


Righto, Gotto Go..... the fire needs tending, coffee needs brewing and my crochet needs attention....

Hope you have a lovely rest of the week.... it's hard to believe we are halfway through the first week of June already...


19 comments:

Julie said...

I just Love, love your stitcheries Fiona. I really like wreaths - I think I like the symetry of them - (not sure if that is the right word??!!) Your design wall looks rather lovely & gorgeous colours/fabrics - I laughed at the little verse in your sewing room "down the rabbit hole".

Jennifer said...

Yes, that fire won't tend itself and the coffee definitely won't start by itself! You project is an eye-popper, but I like it. Such pretty embroidery too, reminds me of the doilies I used to embroider many many years ago......back in the days when girls had a 'glory box' for their future home.

kiwikid said...

Your stitcheries are beautiful Fiona, love the wreath in particular. Well done on getting the One Block together, it is eye popping but I love the way your have placed the colours. Great you have used all the blocks. Enjoy that fire and coffee.

Louise said...

Those high contrast blocks do give the eye a workout, don't they! I love the little blue bird stitchery. SO sweet :)

Karen's Korner said...

From where I am sitting those blocks look 3D. Pretty blue bird stitchery as is the floral one.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona oh your stitcheries sure are beautiful ,i love the blue birds and your lap quilt is beautiful i love the colours that you have chosen and nice that you got a couple of placements from the left over blocks,well done my friend on all your beautiful work.
It certainly is soup weather,hope your day is a good one my friend xx

Jane said...

a lovely variety of projects on the go there :) love the wreath

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful Fiona and how striking is your One Block Wednesday quilt. I wish I had room for a design wall....Love seeing all your blocks there. I have chicken soup on now....Stay cosy!

Karen S said...

Gorgeous embroideries again. I always love these threads.
And the quilt flimsy looks great. That has turned out really well.
Great way to use the leftovers, too.
Stay warm and enjoy the cuppa.

Maria said...

You do such beautiful stitching Fiona...
The OBWs look great sewn together even though they are a little eye boggling...Nice placemats with the left overs..
Good to have work on the design wall to work on..

Susan said...

it is a tad cool - I do love those blocks so beautifully stitched and pressed . . . Your one block quilt did make my eyes go funny too....but good job on such tiny piecing.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I love that quilt top and also the extra placemats you got out of all those blocks.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

As you are enjoying winter I am sweltering in 100 plus weather here....but no complaints....I do enjoy summertime and all the extra light we get with it. Love the stitcheries.....the first one of the blue birds looks so much like a vintage piece I found a few years ago at an estate sale.......lovely

WoolenSails said...

I always love seeing your stitcheries, such beautiful work and your quilting, I know I would get confused making a geometric like that'll ol.

Debbie

Chookyblue...... said...

The days are flying by fast.... Loving the winter days..... I do like to feel the change in seasons....
Love the stitchery at the top.... Esp the blue birds....
Take care....

Ondrea said...

Your embroideries are beautiful. Love your quilt. Such beautiful work.

Helen said...

I do love the field journal stitcheries.... your blog posts always fill me with enthusiasm to get my own stitching done....thank you ....

Flickenstichlerin said...

What a progress Fiona, lovely stitich. I adore your quilt top, wonderful.

Lin said...

Such a pretty wreath and you know I love your blue birds. I know what you mean about your one block quilt - it looks like one of those puzzles where you have to spot a shape hiding. xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>