Thursday, January 23, 2020

A hot week.....



A bit of rain has made my plants very happy.....

fushcia


crucifix orchid


even the baby lemon just shot through new shoots....


Hoya....


Frangipani....


Frangipani....


That's about all the colour there is at the moment... we have lost a lot of plants … raindrops makes it all look good

The drought is by no means over, and there are lots of farms that still haven't received any rain....

Meanwhile the hot and humid has meant I have done lots of hand sewing....



I have been focussing on the United Stitches blocks 


Whenever I have had the chance for a few stitches 


… still have a few more to go..... 


I took a short break from them to hand sew down the binding of this quilt when I spent a day with a friend.... 


…. just a little quilt so not really an impressive amount of stitching (there was an impressive amount of chatting)

sweet little star fabric for the back....


My friend is a great crocheter and she gave me these cotton washcloths... so handy with the circle at the top to hang by.  I have actually used the bigger one as a hand towel as it is just the right size for the bathroom....


I am still trying to sneak in a bit of me time machine sewing so this week I added that mustard border onto Wings and Pretty things....


The next round is more of those elongated hexagons.... which I will do once I have finished off the United Stitches blocks....  I love this quilt so I am itching to get back to it even though EPP is not my favourite thing....

This week we went solar powered..... woohoo...…  It was such a hot muggy day I felt so sorry for the guys on the roof.....


so now we are self powered (mostly!)

Righto, Gotto Go....  the day has begun and there is coffee to be drunk.... 



18 comments:

kiwikid said...

Despite the drought you have some beautiful flowers there Fiona. The hoya is a beautiful colour. Your stitcheries are gorgeous and your quilt is coming along really well. Cute little quilt and those crochet cloths are great too. Hope the solar power works well for you.

Cheryll said...

Impressive stitching...& beautiful flowers in bloom.
Fingers crossed for more rain... xox

Michelle Ridgway said...

Blooming lovely, I have to say....so,cheery too when everything is so dry. Those United Stitches blocks are just gorgeous! Wings is looking good.....a must for me too. How neat are those lovely hand towels.....would have been awful up on the roof in the heat...exciting to have low power bills x

Terry said...

My grandma always used to hang fushia's outside in the summer...seeing yours made me think of her. I may just have to get myself one this spring. :0)

Jennifer said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! Yay for the solar, although we don't have it......and you do know that 'someone' will have to get up there and keep those panels clean no matter how dust is blowing around in the air, don't you?

Jeanette said...

The flowers all look beautiful. Love your United Stitches block, the thread colour is glorious. Wings is looking lovely. Hugs, xx

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

This hot weather has been unrelenting but the little bit of rain has been absolutely lovely. Your plants are looking quite happy and so colourful for your garden. Your stitcheries are lovely.

Karen's Korner said...

That hot pink frangipani is stunning. You have been busy in the sewing room with such pretty results.

Jane said...

rain is so welcome after a long dry period, seems to bring everything to life

Raewyn said...

Your plants surely do look like they've enjoyed your recent rain. We're at the stage now of really needing some. I used to love to grow Fuschia but have never had them at this house - I think I need to change that! Your United stitches blocks are gorgeous! And I do love your Wings quilt - mine is still at the planning stage grrr - I really did think I'd have made a good start by now! Oh and good on you with the solar, it really does seem to be a good way to go.

Chantal said...

Happy to hear you finally got some rain. Hope the rest of Australia gets some too soon. Love your stitchery. Your stitches are so even. Just gorgeous! ;^)

WoolenSails said...

Your flowers are beautiful, I do miss all the color, but at least I can see more birds with the bare trees, lol.
I just love your stitcheries, I need to get some variegated threads like that, love how they look.

Debbie

Just Ramblin' said...

Your flowers are absolutely beautiful. So happy you finally got a little rain. Your United Stitches looks awesome!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

All the stitcheries are so beautiful. Great idea to use the variegated thread. Good for you to get solar power! You'll have to let us know how that works out.

Susan said...

Great idea to go Solar - we only have it for the water. :-(
your stitcheries look lovely
and so do your flowers - must be the TLC!

loulee said...

You have some lovely flowers in your garden, many of them scented too. Yum.
Those poor guys on your roof on a hot day. I wish we could go solar.
You are making great progress on your quilt.

Karen S said...

Lovely to see your garden looking so good. Every drop of rain helps.
Great progress with your stitchery blocks. You may have already told us but what is the thread you are using?
Lovely finish on the little quilt. And good to get the border on Wings.
Great to see the solar panels going on. We have had ours for many years and really appreciate the savings.

Janice said...

I’m late getting to read this post. You have more colour in your garden than us and yes, raindrops are very photogenic. You’ve been making good use of your stitching time. I reckon you’ll love your solar. We had it installed back in August. We felt sorry for our installers as it was freezing cold - and in snow!! Did you get battery backup? We did, and we love it, especially as we are often both out during the day and use a lot of our power at night.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>