Saturday, March 16, 2019

Friday Night Sew-In


Thanks Wendy for hosting FNSI - I wonder if you managed to stay awake and do some sewing after your trip away?

I started with some lovely gentle stitching on pretty Tilda fabrics.....


… and appliqued down the little dresden plate circle to the background fabric.....



 .. then I finished off the ironing mouse.... she has a little bit of a guilty expression on her face....


maybe because she is ironing fabric when there is all that laundry on the bed to be sorted out!!!!


I use one of our 'guest' rooms for ironing.  There is a nice big bed to store the clean laundry but most of all it makes me move around to go and get my pressing/ironing done when I am sewing.

I have a couple of pictures in there which I love.... these are painted on cloth and from Uganda (where I visited many years ago) This picture depicted peace in spite of differences.


The crane is the national bird.  the mountain at the back represents the Ruwenzori Range which is supposedly one source of the Nile.  Also behind the top crane is a circle (very faded now) but it did have a representation.  The cranes are looking together... the artist I bought it from said they are looking in hope (he was a survivor of the Idi Amin terrible massacres)


This morning I pinned on the Flowerville stitchery to the dresden circle to stitch down tonight.


We had a nice bit or rain last evening …. 37mls and today is overcast so hopefully that wet can spend some time soaking into the ground.  Of course more would be greatly appreciated.

It's so nice to be cooler though... and damp

Righto, Gotto Go.... perhaps I should start by putting laundry away....


19 comments:

Janice said...

I love the Dresden in Tilda fabrics. It is coming along nicely. I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets behind with the ironing, but I am getting a bit better........now we won’t talk about the mending basket...... I love the story behind your artwork. Lovely memories of your travels.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I so love your Flowerville....so pretty! We're on Mouseys side lol! So cute. Your art pieces are just beautiful and love that you know their stories which is extra special. Oh it is wonderful to feel cool and hear the drizzle today on the roof xx

WoolenSails said...

Those fabrics look beautiful in the dresden and that mouse is so cute.
I have some old paintings, I bought years ago, but I don't hang much art now since I have so many quilts and my own pieces to hang, time to pass on to the kids.

Debbie

Jeanette said...

Love your Dresdens, the fabric is so pretty. The mouse is so cute. The paintings are fabulous, wonderful treasures to have. Hugs, xx

Jennifer said...

Oh, I do envy you your rain......it's cloudy here today but not a drop so far, on our side of town anyway. Flowerville is very pretty, and your ironing mouse is sweet! I love seeing your treasures from your previous home, they are very special. My iron is in another room to my machines, it also makes me get up and take a break from sewing.

Karen's Korner said...

That is the cutest little mouse and those fabrics are so soft and pretty.

Karen S said...

I do like that mouse and that she is ironing fabric.
You have a lovely collection of wall art. Thanks for sharing it.

Cheryll said...

Who doesn't LoVe the Dresden... and the use of the stitchery makes it simply gOrgeOus. Well done Fiona... xox

Elyte said...

Those Tilda fabrics are so pretty and work so well in a Dresden.
Your special pictures won't mind if the ironing isn't done.

Chantal said...

Always love to see your stitchery. Too cute. Love the painting of the two ladies. It talks to me too. Ah! Laundry! Such a chore. The part I dislike the most is the socks. Gosh! There's always so many! Hope you get more rain. (That's a good time to fold laundry.) ;^)

Maria said...

Pretty Dresdens and such a pretty little 🐭 mouse .
Hmm I think we all have a nice pile of ironing waiting to be done.
Nice to have a some rain...

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona lovely work my friend ,your dresdens are so pretty and how cute is your mouse.
What a good idea to put your laundry in a spare bedroom and to have your ironing board set up there too.
Love your pics and what great memories they hold for you. xx

Allie said...

LOL darling little guilty mouse!!! I guess it's a good thing my guest room doesn't have a bed yet....love your pictures from Uganda.

kiwikid said...

Beautiful art, nice to have things that have meaning to you. Your dresden and stitchery are lovely. So good to have some rain.

Susie H said...

Your Dresdent plate has such beautiful colors and it will look spectacular with your embroidered center circle. Thanks for the art lessons, they are beautiful pictures. Now go fold your laundry! haha

Lin said...

Two beautiful pictures Fiona, I love them both. Simple lines in the first one but still so much to look at and the shape of the cranes is gorveous. Nice flowerville dresden. xx

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Isn't the mouse just too cute!! I am with her on preferring to iron fabric than clothes :) xx

Susan said...

Great that you can hide the laundry in a spare room...Love these artworks.

Vicki said...

Beautiful work for FNSI, the fabrics are so pretty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>