Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A new relation....


One of my nephews living in New Zealand recently became a dad to a baby girl..... I had this quilt in my cupboard which I made because I loved the fabric and I loved the pattern …. so I sent it over to them.




It's such a sweet pattern and I think I want to make it again..... just in case of another relation arriving one day!

We went for our drive on this brand new road... there were quite a few other cars doing just the same... all going in the same direction!  It was quite fun but really a road is a road is a road.... this is only part of a large new bypass and even this part will make some of Hubz work trips a bit shorter..


Since I can knit in the car without looking at what I am doing I stitched along and made another scrubby cloth....


This week I have carried on with doing my elongated hexagons/lozenge's/coffins - only one more side to do then I can play with some butterflies



Although I wanted 'random' placement.... they do need to be a bit organised so this is my genius idea of how to keep the lines...

I use double sided tape on my large portable board


here are all 4 staying in place on the upright board … this was before I sewed the pieces together into lines.


It works well except that the double sided tape is really good and I battled to get my pieces off and then the card was sticky on the back....  there must be an easier way so let me know if you have a different genius idea please.

The last few stitches on my Flowerville block have been done and on Tuesday with the girls I made the Dresden circle.


Now it needs the stitchery cut and appliqued on to the dresdens ….

These rail fence blocks were all sewn together... didn't take long at all as I had already planned how they would go...

It's a small lap quilt size …. I think I will keep it that way with some brown binding...



Then I started playing with my chopped up French General jelly roll.....


I have had this fabric and the plan in a container for a few years now knowing this is what I wanted to do.

I hope I can find a bit more of that plain colour to add sashing in between - I would like the granny squares 'floating'...  I thought I bought plenty but it's amazing how many little blocks I needed.  I did think of cutting triangles and working it that way but then there is no room for fudging (and I often need a bit of fudging)

Righto, Gotto Go... still got a few work quilts to get done before Christmas break....

Have a lovely rest of the week


15 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona oh i sure do love the pretty pink baby quilt,bet that will be a hit when they receive it. Loving your progress on Michelle's quilt and your flowerville blocks,beautiful work my friend,well done xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lucky baby and congrats on a new family member.....such a sweet quilt! My goodness I love all your projects. As you know how disorganised I am I cannot offer any advice lol! Yikes you a nipping at my heels on Wings....I shall have to get a wriggle on xx

Jennifer said...

That's a very cute little baby quilt! Have you tried blue or green painter's tape to mark your line, it peels off easily without leaving any residue.

Maria said...

Such a sweet baby girl quilt. I'm sure it will be much loved...
Great progress with your Wings .. I remember Lynette Anderson had a similar way of keeping the EPPing in place.
Love the dresden circle to go around the Flowerville block.
The brown/orange tone quilt looks great as is the FG jelly roll blocks..

Sheila said...

Congrats on the new family member , she will love her sweet quilt. Lots of lovely work in progress , always nice to see what you are working on . 😊

Jeanette said...

Beautiful baby quilt. Interesting idea for your elongated hexagons.I just usually make little stacks. Love you lap quilt & you French General blocks. Hugs,xx

kiwikid said...

Beautiful baby quilt Fiona and congratulations on the new little Kiwi!! 😆 love the dresden circle such pretty colours, so many lovely projects. I am no help with the hexies either, would masking tape be less sticky and grabby?

sunny said...

Your baby quilt is adorable and will be much loved, I'm sure. How many blades are in your Dresden plate? I've never seen one with so many. It's beautiful!

WoolenSails said...

That is such a cute quilt, they will love it.
You really have a lot of wonderful projects going, and able to stick to each one, a bit at a time.
I really need to organize my to do projects and get started again.

Debbie

Jane said...

That's a perfect quilt to welcome a little one to the family. Love the idea of stitcheries in the middle of the Dresdens

Louise said...

I remember that giraffe baby quilt! So sweet and soft. I'm glad you found just the perfect home for it. And it will stay in the family, too, so you can visit it every now and then :)

Karen S said...

Delightful choice of quilt for the new baby. That is very exciting.
As for all the other work you have done - how do you manage to be so productive at this time of year. Well done one getting so much work completed!!

Cheryll said...

Merry Christmas Fiona... LoVe ya work... xox

Janice said...

I’ve just been catching up on your recent posts. The baby quilt will be well received I’m sure. Your going great guns on using your stash. Lovely projects. I also love your Hoya plant. Not something we can grow down here.

ellieshomemadehome.blogspot.com said...

Your baby quilt is beautiful as are all your quilts that you are working on. Your Dresden looks fabulous, love those fabrics. Happy stitching, you are getting loads of work done :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>