Friday, May 25, 2018

Bag Making....


Queensland is finally moving over to eliminating single use plastic bags at the shops in a month or two....

A friend had a whole lot of mesh fabric (from a business closure) and so I had a bag sewing day at the house.... Four of us made bags and bags of bags.....

These ones are for putting the potatoes and onions, apples etc.  Easy peasy to sew and then cut so it looks like a vest - and the handles can be knotted to hold them in....


I am also doing some with cords - they will make good shoe bags..... or grocery bags, or washing bags ..... 


There was plenty of mesh so I am also doing some large ones, for laundry when travelling, and also to hold quilts in.

I had some thicker cotton in bright colours so on Tuesday with the Chooseday girls I made up some tote bags....

I now have 6 good size totes for other groceries......


I think I'm ready for the plastic ban now.....

I started sewing the sides to my animal pictures for my safari photograph quilt...



ran out of the background fabric so I need to dig into my scraps (it's quilt backing so I must have some bits I cut off the sides)

Hand work has seen another 4 blocks of Dutch Treat made..... I still have over 30 to do and I have to say these ones are dragging on a bit.....


It could be because I want to sew angels.... hmmmm

Righto, Gotto Go....  powercut today so it will be treadlepower on this project.....


It's too big for my design board... so the spare room is no longer spare for the duration.....  


- better go and make that coffee before the electricity is shut down...... 

Have a lovely day/weekend.......

27 comments:

Jeanette said...

Love your bags. I've got mine ready but the biggest problem will be remebering to take them when the ban starts. Hugs, xx

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your bags look great and you've prompted me to get started on making some too. I hadn't thought about fruit and veg - do you think they'll get rid of those small bags too?

Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona what a great idea those bags are,i have some net curtain here so i will have a go at making some,i am like jeanette i will have to remember to take them in,lol. lovely work my friend xx

Jane said...

that net fabric is great for bags, great idea.

Karen S said...

The mesh bags are a great idea. They should work really well.
Great to see your project progress!

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

What a great idea. A very productive sewing Day for you all.

Chrissie said...

Great combination of bags should get you through the changes. I love fabric bags, so much nicer. Enjoy your treadling xcx

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Great that you got a lot of mesh given to you! All those bags will come in handy... I have plenty of bags, I just now need to remember to take them with me when I go shopping!!! xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Fantastic work on your eco bags!! Love them all. DT continues to amaze me....I love your treadle project too xx

Jennifer said...

Good idea on the vegie bags......have been meaning to make those for a while!

Allie-oops Designs said...

I love those bags!!!! We mostly shop at Aldi, where you bring your own bags. Why is your electric being turned off??? Love your Dutch Treats, and those diamonds are spectacular!!!

Fiona said...

No, I believe they won't but I wanted to use other bags anyway. Trying to do my bit
Hugz

Fiona said...

Net curtaining is a good idea too. Remembering will become a habit (I hope)
Hugz

Fiona said...

Nice and cheap too - they is always lots of net in our charity shops.
Hugz

Fiona said...

I hope so... easy to clean aswell.... the project made good progress yesterday and I hope to do more today
Hugz

Fiona said...

Thanks Debra, I hope I remember to use them! I always find we get lots done on our joint sewing days
Hugz

Fiona said...

Hi Chrissie, they are much nicer, our usual shop ones which are cheap are often ugly though the shops are getting more creative
Hugz

Fiona said...

Yes, always lovely to make them from given fabric! Remembering is a big part of it... funny as some shops I always remember so I think it will become habit when I have to pay for bags
Hugz

Fiona said...

Thanks.... I know you use them too. Treadling went well yesterday - more today
Hugz

Fiona said...

Hi Jennifer, yes I hope they will be useful...
Hugz

Fiona said...

Thanks. I am an Aldi shopper too and I use my own bags there - the other shops still provide bags. Our electricity just went off for a few hours whilst they did some maintenance... all back on again now.... I got quite a bit of the diamonds done...
Hugz

Louise said...

Very smart to make your bag from washable fabrics! Those woven papery stuff ones get dirty and then just have to be thrown away. Plus there are so many cute prints out there to use for the big bags, sure to make shopping more cheerful ;)

Fiona said...

ee

Fiona said...

ff

Maria said...

LOL hmm whats the ff ?????

Great lot of bags Fiona.I keep a couple of them rolled up in my handbag and more in the car.

Raewyn said...

A fun working bee... I"m sure I"ve got bits I can use for fruit bags too.... our supermarket regularly gives away (quality) hessian type bags which are great..also a coffee card stamp every time you bring recylcable bags - a great incentive to remember to throw them in the car!

Janice said...

We’re going bagless soon too so I should make some bags. Mum has been making ones in the same shape as the single use ones for years. I should have a go. Your day was very productive. The vege bags look to be a great idea.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>