Thursday, April 24, 2014

A quilt top, a bag and some hexagon stitching....


When Hubz and I went on holiday I took some blocks to applique.....  over Easter I put the blocks together and sewed the last of the applique....

This is a design by Toni from Red Boots Quilt Company...

I had some white on white fabric which I used for the background and the polar bears... it gives a little bit of texture to the look which I quite like ...


The blue stars was left over fabric from my aeroplane quilt and I only bought a bit of the darker blue border .. the rest was 'scraps'

... and I used some of my felted wool blanket for the warm scarves and caps....

... and some tiny buttons for eyes .....


I will need to buy some backing.....

Of course I have done a bit of handstitching... these are the Christmas hexagons by Michelle....

they are on some white on white snowflake fabric with quilting wadding as stabilizer


I am doing these in redwork (DMC 221) with a little accent of silver (metallic thread is a nightmare to sew with????)


... and I did a shop sample for The Quilters Angel... this is Sleepover bag by Melly McNeice...


.. a bit of a challenge to make because of the size and shape.. but a great learning experience and I love the result.... it does hold better than my picture shows.... 

Such awesome Autumn weather at the moment.. the temperatures are just perfect... last evening these paragliders came over my house and off into the sunset.... what fun ...


... and another picture of my quilt top....

... just because ....


It looks a bit like I am doing advertising... I'm not.... I love my sewing ... but I couldn't do it without the lovely designers and their amazing patterns... and I think it's only fair to acknowledge them

Righto, Gotto Go.... must deliver that bag before I am tempted to keep it...

35 comments:

Susan said...

I love your polar bear, he looks ready for winter. I think it's great to acknowledge designers, or even other bloggers who have sparked an idea.

Marilyn said...

that is such a fun quilt top - Toni's patterns are so cute. Love your sleepover bag. I have made 4 of them now and each time I say that is the last but...... The challenge is worth the work and the bag holds soooo much. It looks very striking in those fabrics.

Christine M said...

Those polar bears are just gorgeous Fiona. Lovely stitcheries too.

Daisy Jayne said...

the quilt makes me thing of a good book, hot choc drink and pj's
love it ...I also like thread #221two great minds think a like chuckle

Daisy Jayne said...

the quilt makes me thing of a good book, hot choc drink and pj's
love it ...I also like thread #221two great minds think a like chuckle

Anonymous said...

hi Fiona they are very very cute,your hexies are looking good and i love the bag i have that pattern and fabric for it but havent made it yet,hope it isnt to hard,hope you have a lovely evening Fiona.xx

Tracy said...

Looking lovely up your way Fiona. I think I would prefer to admire the paragliders from the ground than be up there with them.
Very nice sewing...as always.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oh how cute are those polar bears! Love your bag too. The hexies are progressing well. Have fun xx

Jeanette said...

Love your polar bears. So cute. Love the stitcheries. Hugs, xx

KERYN B said...

Quilt is very cute and done lucky person will live that bag it's amazing.

kiwikid said...

Your polar bears are amazing!! Love them! The bag is wonderful too and the hexies, you have been busy!!
xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your Polar bear quilt is so cute, lovely hexies and the bag is amazing...

Raewyn said...

You have been busy lately, Fiona. Love your bears :-) and your gorgeous little hexagon stitcheries! The bag also looks like a great size. I love the thimble from the previous post - beautiful and very clever!!

Terry said...

Your polar bears quilt top is so cute! I love it! :0)

Wendy said...

Brilliant quilt! I have just bought 2 of Toni's patterns - the bunny ones would you believe! Are the little hexies going to be ornaments or are you making them up into a quilt or cushion? ~the bag is fabulous, is the bit on the side so you can fill it more?

Tarnyia said...

Love the quilt... gorgeous polar bears... and you are so right what would we do without our designers and their patterns xxx

Hilachas said...

Awesome quilt! What a great job you did.

sunny said...

Love all your projects. It's important to keep your hands busy while on vacation. And it's a good thing to acknowledge designers.

Chrissie said...

Your quilt is lovely. Love the polar bears so cute and the bag is great, not sure how you could give it up!

Sheila said...

Oh I love that quilt , a happy quilt and the bag is awesome and looks complicated to make . Fantastic job on both ! Hugs Sheila

Rosie said...

Great projects and the Xmas stitchery's are cute. The bag looks great and I love the colours.

Susan said...

Yes, metallic thread is a pain..but sometimes its just needed...
Gorgeous fabrics in the bag.
Such cute polar bears - must check out Toni.

Anonymous said...

love your polar bear quilt top, it's gorgeous!!
very cute stitching and a lovely bag.

Jindi's Cottage said...

Your polar bear quilt is such fun, makes me smile to look at it...metallic thread is painful but have you tried using Thread Heaven on it, it's a thread conditioner, really makes a difference...your Melly bag is great, love the fabric choices...

Karen said...

Your quilt looks amazing!! Love the fabrics in it.
And the stitcheries are delightful, too. Yes, I struggle with metallic thread, too.
The bag looks good. It is a great way to try a pattern.

Cheryl said...

Very cute quilt Fiona and love your hexies

donna said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. You have done a great job. Love your hexies. Oh my gosh I am loving that bag. I have been looking for a pattern to make an over night bag. Thank you so much for sharing.
Hugs
donna

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

That quilt is so cute Fiona....totally agree with you about the metallic thread!

Teresa said...

I love the polar bear quilt.. Love the projects the Red Boot Company come up with... so cute... I want to make them all. Yours is just fabulous and a great idea using the red wool. That bag is GORGEOUS... oh so love it. You are so clever xx

marina said...

Hi Fiona,
another test run, still trying to fix issues! aahhgghhfingers crossed this works.

Wendy said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous quilt, the polar bears are so fun and I love the wool for their accessories!! Hugs Wendy

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Lin said...

Fun quilt Fiona and I love that bag! xx

Anthea said...

What a fun quilt Fiona - you've done a superb job as always - I totally think it's the right thing to do, acknowledge the designer, I often go check out their other designs if there is a link provided on a blog...

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Oh I am loving the fabrics on that bag. Do you know if they have it kitted up ...... me thinks I need one .... one just like yours :o) hugs

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>