Sunday, June 19, 2022

FNSI (and all day)


Thanks to Wendy for hosting FNSI.....  I had more of a FSI......

I went and pulled out a bunch of fabrics to make into new Bondi tops..... it started with the new Tilda fabrics but if I am making one I may as well make 5 and have a bit of a factory worker routine going....


The pattern calls for some binding around the neck and I didn't have matching binding for a couple of the tops so I made some.... 

a 10" square gives double what I need but a smaller piece would mean too many seams.... I use THIS method to make continuous bias binding....  


I draw and cut my strips at 1" and then fold up to make 1/2" bias using this gizmo (I have 3 sizes - 1", 1/2" and 1/4" and use the smaller ones quite a bit)


Then I got to chain piecing a bunch of Churn Dash blocks for Chookyblue's sewalong.... I am trying to make quite a lot at the moment while I can....

Not sure how many I will do but I need at least this amount again....  I will swap the colours round next time....


While I was chain piecing..... a new recipe was being tried....

Secret ingredient in this one is Sweet Potatoe.... I had a huge one I was given which needed using and this recipe just happened to be in a chain supermarkets free magazine this month...

It makes a large bundt cake... I adapted the glaze to maple and honey (as I didn't have enough maple) and used almonds instead of hazelnut (as that is what I had in the house)  The recipe is HERE and I can recommend it.... 


Friday Night was stitching another Field Journal embroidery ....


Yesterday I woke up to a message letting me know there is a new baby in the family coming along - I went scrummaging in the cupboard and found a kit I had bought some time ago and never made up...

Lovely soft flannels....

Sooooo.... in spite of not wanting to start a new one and work on others... I am doing just that ... starting a new one!  But it's a lovely excuse to do that! (you know I love starting new things)


Righto, Gotto Go.....  I might have a slice of my new cake.... then make some tops and start slicing and dicing those yummy flannel fabrics...


Hope you have a wonderful rest of the weekend..... 



14 comments:

loulee said...

Of course you had to start a new project, new babies mean new projects. Enjoy your cake, it sure looks good.

Jennifer said...

Your cake looks good....that new baby needs its own new project, for sure!

Chantal said...

Those lovely fabrics will make wonderful tops. A new baby needs a quilt of his own so you definitively have to start a new project. (Best excuse ever!) Love the Field Journal's latest flower. The center is so different then what one expects. Gorgeous! ;^)

Karen's Korner said...

I agree....why make 1 when you can have multiples especially summer tops as they are always in the wash. Another gorgeous baby quilt in the making. You are flying through those C/D blocks.

Maria said...

Great idea to add 5 new tops to your summer wardrobe…
Lots of Churn Dash blocks there….
Of course you need to make a cut cosy quilt for a new babe…..
Bet that cake was delicious 😋

Julie said...

I saw the cake you'd make on Instagram Fiona & thought how absolutely delicious it looked! Lovely & moist. I think I might need to invest in a bias maker as it looks great & I use lots of bias binding for my buntings. Enjoy your week Fiona.

Janice said...

Boy! What a day. Your tops will be lovely for summer and a baby on the way is the perfect excuse to start a new project, especially if you already have a suitable kit. The production line is working well for the churn dash blocks.

Susie H said...

Your cake looks and sounds so tasty! Good for you to start a new project. It's for a baby so no excuse needed! See you next FNSI!

Susan said...

busy little beaver - looks like you are going to have a huge churn dash quilt. a new bub - how exciting!
Love how you adapt your recipes...as I say "recipes/patterns are jsut a guide"

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Cake looks yummy and you've done a lot of churn dashes already!! I love your new flannels - looking forward to seeing what they turn into :) xx

Sharon Kwilter said...

It's always fun to start new projects. That cake looked amazing; thanks for the recipe.

kiwikid said...

That cake looks yummy and amazing! Well done on the Churn Dashes, beautiful stitchery and always good to start a new project even if we know we shouldn't be!!

cityquilter grace said...

pretty churn dash blocks...cake looks delish!

Tazzie said...

I love your churn dash blocks, and you got so many made, well done! While I was scrolling down thru your posts, I was fascinated by your Bondi top, I had to google the pattern. Your garment sewing looks wonderful, I'm still such a beginner with it, so I always appreciate a job well done.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>