Monday, June 14, 2021

Carnarvon Gorge

I have wanted to visit this place for a long time.... 

The sides of the gorge are huge... and you walk in the valley that has been created over years and years of erosion....


crossing the creek a number of times... and you can see damage from when the rain comes and the river rises....
I may have fallen in spectacularly.... a wet walk home!


We went to the Art Gallery first..... it's hard to give the scale of size and height...


The paintings are wonderful.....


of course they are ancient and so special


a lovely long area which has now been protected by a board walk.... people need to be stopped picking at things


sadly some human remains were dug up and taken from here.....


we then went to the Ampitheatre...... some steep steps up - you can see me being silly celebrating getting as far as I did 2/3 of the way up!


I didn't get much good pictures in here.... this gives a little idea but there is a huge open space in the middle as high as that


then back down the track and off to the Moss Garden.... this is continually dripping with water which is seeping through sandstone....


Again protected by a board walk to stop silly people taking stuff and ruining it all...  a lovely lovely spot and worth the climb to get there....


It was a 14km walk for the day ... much of it gentle slope but a good number of stairs and I have to admit I struggled at the last few km... especially by that stage I was wet from falling in the water!! 

I'll not forget this place.... so worth the visit

Some more information HERE 

Righto, Gotto Go.... still doing the washing!!! haha

14 comments:

Maria said...

A memorable place to have visited …
Always washing. 😉

Terry said...

Oh wow...what an amazing place to visit! I love the paintings! :0)

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful place - some really special memories for you, even to falling in!

Lin said...

Fantastic pictures and what ana mazing place to visit! I love those wall paintings, so beautiful. Well, fancy falling in the water - were there many spectaors? How embarassing.Hope it was a warm day. xx

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

What an amazing place and so special to be able to visit! And how lovely to be off on a road trip :) xx

Jane said...

I saw your photos when you posted them on Facebook, a really awe inspiring place

Karen's Korner said...

I am enjoying my armchair travels with you. Great photos and memories that you will have at the end of your trip.

kiwikid said...

Fantastic place to visit, sad that people can't just look isn't it! Hope the washing is under control now. No injuries when you fell I hope!

Chantal said...

Wow! What a fantastic place. Thanks for sharing with us. Too bad we missed your great fall in the water, wink. Enjoy your rest. I'm sure your feet will appreciate the break. ;^)

Michelle Ridgway said...

So glad you got to visit......such a special place! It does stay with you...thank you for the wonderful photos and a trip down memory lane. Hope you weren't sore from your slip xx

Janice said...

You have brought back beautiful memories. Such a glorious place. We visited there nearly 20 years ago. I’m glad they now have steps up to the amphitheater, as they just had a steel pipe ladder when we visited. I’m not keen on ladders or open stairs, but was determined to get to the top. I got to the 3rd rung and my boot slipped off the rung. I descended and waited for the rest of the group to return. So disappointed in myself at the time. I may have to revisit. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

Louise said...

I'm glad you only got wet and didn't hit your head on a rock! What a lovely and interesting place. I'd never heard of it before, so thanks for sharing :)

Karen S said...

Beautiful and majestic. Lovely time to be visiting. Looks like you had a wonderful time and I bet you slept well that night.
So much to see and so little time.

Chookyblue...... said...

what a gorgeous spot......I want to go there one day.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>