Thursday, May 6, 2021

Gifts ... and a quilt top


When I was sewing The Schoolgirl Sampler (THIS ONE) I joined in with a few others on Instagram and we sewed together.....

Ingrid was one of the others and a surprise arrived in the post from her....


Ingrid had asked casually which was my favourite block from the sampler and I had said the flying geese.... so she made a mini quilt from it with some of her beautiful fabrics...


she also included an assortment of fabrics (a couple of French Generals in there which have gone towards a future new project) and a gorgeous little pincushion in a glass container..... made with some Tilda fabric ...


Lovely surprise... thank you Ingrid....

A few weeks ago someone had been looking for a pattern which they were having trouble finding and I had it... had made it up a few years ago so I offered to pass it on.....

A parcel arrived as a thank you.....

a big bag of scraps.... (she knew I love making scrap quilts) mostly fairly large pieces


A lot of I Spy type fabrics... so my collection is restored...
I used a lot in this Disappearing 9 patch quilt top....


I kept the I Spy pictures in the corners of the 9 patch so they didn't get chopped up... and then used up various scraps for the other squares and plain blues for the centres to make up the corner stones


Something I noticed on a quilt that was sent to me for quilting which I thought was a good idea was stitching around the complete edge of the quilt to stablise it when there has been a lot of piecing (I don't do this when there is a solid border).

Not only stabilise but also helps stop those little pieces from coming undone, and holds the shape for when it comes to quilting time...


My lovely wounded ducks are happily settled onto their new wild geese mini quilt rug....


The new crochet blanket has started..... It is a wave pattern and I am having to concentrate at the moment (I hope I will get the hang of it and move a bit quicker after a few rows)


Righto, Gotto Go... I think I'll go and play some of those new fabric and scraps....


13 comments:

Lin said...

What a delightful package from Ingrid! Your ducks look very at home with the geese. xx

Jennifer said...

Such a lovely surprise, it suits your ducks beautifully! I have used a row of stitching to hold my quilt edges together, especially if there are a lot of pieces in the border.

Maria said...

Beautiful gift of nice fabrics and pincushion as well as the Flying Geese Mini from Ingrid and the ducks look at home sitting on it....
Great use of the scraps you also received in the post ... I do sew around a flimsy when there's lots of joins...
I'm sure you'll get the hang of the wavy pattern soon.

Jane said...

I'm making a bag at the moment and they've recommended to do that around all the edge pieces to make joining easier. It helps to squash down the layers of foam etc

Chookyblue...... said...

What a lovely little quilt.....I do love flying geese also..... Goodluck working out the new pattern so you can relax and switch off now while crocheting.....

Karen's Korner said...

What a lovely surprise and just the perfect home for your duck family. It is always nice to play with scraps....enjoy.

Cheryll said...

What lovely surprises you received...& some already put to gOOd use too.
Nice work xox

Julie said...

Oh your ducks look just perfect on that mini quilt Fiona. Ingrid is such a lovely person - I follow her on Instagram too & love her work. xx

Chantal said...

Those are wonderful surprises. You must be on someone's good list, lol. You deserve every bit of it. Ingrid mini quilt is awesome. So love the colours. Enjoy the new fabric and scraps. That's the best part. ;^)

kiwikid said...

Lovely parcel of goodies from Ingrid, your ducks look very happy. I think Leeanne (quiltmekiwi) has suggested sewing around the edge of a quilt when there is a lot of piecing, I know I have read it somewhere. Great fabrics scrap bag, your 9 patch looks wonderful too.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

What a lovely package from Ingrid! The mini quilt looks just perfect under the duckies! xx

Janice said...

A nice newsy post. You were treated to some beautiful gifts and that is a great idea about doing a stay stitch around the edge of the quilt.

Karen S said...

Lovely gifts for you to receive. Always a special surprise.
Those ducks look rather delightful on their little quilt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>