Monday, December 7, 2020

Retreat Sewing....

A lovely weekend with friends (new and old).... its always lovely to get to know some people over an extended time.....

I took my large machine (Pfaff Grandquilter) as I can change the foot plate and quilt with it easily.  It is heavy and I think I need to treat myself to a trolley bag one day...

I went round all the black edges of the silhouettes in black, around the coloured borders of the blocks in a clear thread then used a lovely lightly metallic thread in the sky (so in real life you can see the odd sparkle)

Up the sashing was some scrolls...


... and leaves around the borders.... black on black the quilting is not obvious but adds texture


I even added the binding but will not sew it down until we have made a decision about how we are going to hang it....  so not quite a finish yet!

I found fabric for the border of Wish You Well.... I'm very happy with that blue, it is not as strong as it shows in the picture but picks up some of the blue's I have used in the piecing.  I found a nice mustardy brown for the binding

The Quilters Angel had a pop up shop where we had our retreat which was very convenient


Then I sewed about 200 dresden plate blades..... good to have company in jobs like that which is lots and lots of repetition...

Last night I turned them inside out and they will be pressed today and put aside to await the next step.... I need to make a bunch of circles for the middles next...


I don't get as much done as some people but I did finish off the things that I had specially wanted to achieve.  

Righto, Gotto go ..... a busy week ahead...

Take care, keep safe.... hoping for some rain here...



17 comments:

Karen's Korner said...

You certainly achieved a lot especially with doing all that raw edge applique and background quilting. Pretty blades for your plates.

Cheryll said...

Ohhhh NiCe job on the wall hanger... it looks fantastic.
Glad to hear your retreat was wonderful too...xox

Julie said...

Gosh you achieve lots Fiona ... everything you are working on is just so lovely. xx

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Gosh you got so much done over the weekend! That border fabric is a really pretty blue and I can't wait to see what you turn all those dresdens into.

Jeanette said...

Love the quilting on you African quilt. The blue border fabric is pretty. My that is a lot of Dresden blades. Hugs,xx

Jennifer said...

So long as you are happy with what you accomplished, and it sounds as though you are - that's all that matters, Fiona!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Beautiful wall hanger, the quilting is nice too. Lots of progress since last post.

Karen S said...

That is a lot of work to get done over the weekend. Great achievement!

marina said...

very productive retreat Fiona!
love that blue for the border, it goes really well.
such pretty blades, that's a job and half prepping them/
Great work on your safari quilt!!

Lin said...

Your quilting on the silhoutte quilt is beautiful - wish I could see the sparkle. Wish you well looks lovely with its borderand all those Dresben blades are looking pretty. Glad you had a good weekend - shopping too! xx

Maria said...

Lovely work on the African wall hanging...
I do like the blue border on the quilt.
Looking forward to seeing what you make with the Dresden blades?

Jane said...

looks pretty productive to me :) your quilt is beautiful, look forward to seeing it hanging

kiwikid said...

You did really well Fiona and got lots done, always good when you tick off the list of things you wanted to achieve . That is a lot of dresden blades!! Would happily send you the rain we have had if I could.

Chantal said...

Love the African Silhouettes. It must have been hard to quilt black on black? Your leaves are just perfect. Gorgeous! Lovely border for Wish You Well. That's a LOT of blades! Looking forward to the progress of this quilt. Enjoy! ;^)

Michelle Ridgway said...

Well done on your retreat sewing. Looking forward to seeing bith projects completed. Lovevthe blue border...you did well with your choice xx

Louise said...

The Dresden blades were a good thing to work on with distracting company. When I'm alone I have to force myself to stitching boring things like that for 15 minutes, then go do something more fun :)

Janice said...

You made great progress on each project. I can see three lovely finishes in the not too distant future.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>