Monday, November 23, 2020

African Silhouttes

I managed to bag this kit at a much reduced price off a destasher.  I had admired them before and did fancy doing one for my Hubz's office


The batik backgrounds are just stunning....


tracing out the shapes on sticky paper and then ironing to the black ....


some of the cutting out was challenging....


I haven't done any sewing yet.....


I think the silhouettes are really effective....


Yesterday I joined them together and made up the borders.....


the pattern was for 2 across and 3 down but I wanted a longer picture....


Finished size is 63" x 40" so it's not small.

I will stitch down the applique raw edge and quilt at the same time.   Binding is made and I just need to sort out wadding, backing and time....

Righto, Gotto Go..... have a lovely week......

22 comments:

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Oh my gosh....that is stunning! Love those colors and you are right...the silhouettes are perfect.

kiwikid said...

Wow such stunning blocks Fiona! Beautiful.

Jeanette said...

That is stunning Fiona. Love how it looks. Hugs,xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Gee it looks fabulous assembled....so effective!

simplestitches said...

that is stunning!

Karen's Korner said...

WOW those background fabrics are stunning. I will be interested to see your thoughts on stitching around the shapes.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Just beautiful! Wonderful tribute to your African heritage! xx

Jennifer said...

That is fabulous, Fiona! Such a wonderful nod to your family background, too.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Just gorgeous Fiona, what a wonderful wallhanging.

Maria said...

It looks fabulous and a perfect wall hanging for hubz’s office....

Jane said...

Loved seeing the different parts of this come together, it's going to be a stunning quilt

Lin said...

I have been admiring these on Instagram - so gorgeous and with them all put together it looks stunning on your wall. xx

Janice said...

How effective the design is. It will be stunning on the wall.

Cheryll said...

It's stunning Fiona... LoVe it & so will hubby...xox

Louise said...

Wow! No wonder you grabbed that right off the destasher! I would have, also. Gorgeous!

Terry said...

That's beautiful! :0)

Karen S said...

That is a great result. I can see how fiddly the cutting must have been.
But definitely worth it.

Julie A Hutcherson said...

I was going to say stunning, but that's been said...

It's very dynamic!!

Also love the mouse in the prior blog post :)

Raewyn said...

It gorgeous Fiona - well done on managing to snag it and also on all the fancy cutting. It will look amazing in hubby's office.(Or anywhere for that matter!)

marina said...

Your African silhouettes are so beautiful! I can see lots of tricky cutting too, appliqueing will be tricky too I imagine.
Great job

WoolenSails said...

That is beautiful and I love how they look against the batiks. I was making something like that in the 80's, no idea what happened to it.

Debbie

Susan said...

I love it - so apt for Hubz.... I have the Aussie one if you're interested . .

just saying . . .LOL.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>