Saturday, July 20, 2019

This week.....


Lots of talk this week about it being 50 years since man landed on the moon.....  who can forget those words 

"The eagle has landed" 

and

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

I remembered we have a scrap book with some bits of newspaper from years ago....

I was 10 years old and at boarding school in a little village called Melsetter (now Chimanimani)

Do you remember where you were?


It's quite fun looking at other articles and advertisements in the papers too.

This week I promised myself a bit of time each morning doing some piecing so I got the sashing and borders done for Flowerville....


It looks pretty hanging on the board next to Wings..... 


… but I have folded it away with the binding.... ready for my quilter to get to it in due course....



This week I made cauliflower and bacon soup (thanks Jennifer for the heads up on this one)….. just totally deeeeelicious.  I made a big pot so there is several more meals in the freezer for those don't feel like cooking days (which happen a bit too frequently!)


This week I finished up the next four postcard stitcheries.... they were supposed to be done in June but that time disappeared too fast for me.... 


The design board now has the postcards spread out (there is still plenty more to do) so that I can do a bit of chopping of fabric and try and piece those for my morning piecing treat.


The deciding what colour goes where and cutting the pieces seems to take me ages....

Righto, Gotto Go.... I need to iron out the pieces of flannel first....

Have a lovely weekend.....



15 comments:

Maria said...

Yes I remember the day of the Moon Landing well. My eldest daughter was a baby and I had put her to bed in time to watch all about it on TV....
The sashing and borders on Flowerville are lovely..Nice to have the binding done ready after it comes back from the quilter 😊......
Will be great to see your Postcards come together too.

Jennifer said...

Yes, I remember the moon landing......had been married to the first bloke for just six months, it filled the news for days. Love your pretty embroideries, Postcards are coming along nicely! Glad you like the soup too, always happy to be of service.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I do that too - cooking in big batches. I have far too often run out of food in the freezer even when I do that, because as much as I like to cook, I don't want to do it when it gets too hot or I get lazy. Both of your projects look great - they are both ones I would like to make.

Chantal said...

Too full of energy to sit by the TV to watch men landing on the moon. (Boooring!) My main interest was climbing the huge tree at the church that summer because I had just turned 6 and I thought I was big enough now to do it. :^) (There's a lesson learned there, Hahaha!)
Love your Flowerville quilt. Excellent work, Fiona. Good luck with color placement for Postcard. Today is 40 degrees Celsius here. Enjoy the cooler weather. ;^)

Jeanette said...

I don't recall the moon landing at all, think i was only 4.:) Love how Flowerville looks, so beautiful. Hugs,xx

marina said...

What a fantastic piece of history!
Flowerville looks magnificent! Great job putting the top together, love it
Hope it doesn’t have to wait for the quilter too long.
Very pretty postcards too

Pink Rose said...

Hi Fiona oh i remember we were all called into the library at high school to watch it on TV,it was very exciting at the time.
What a wonderful piece of history you have found.
Wow your flowerville is amazing,i love it and the fabrics that you have choosen,well done .
You have been very busy my friend,hope you have a lovely Sunday xx

WoolenSails said...

We did not watch much tv when I was young and no news, just disney on Sunday, so I cannot remember world events. Your quilt looks wonderful and I know i need to start prepping things so I have them all ready to work on.

Debbie

kiwikid said...

I was at Intermediate School at the moon landing time, but I do not remember much about it other than the one small step statement. We didn't watch TV at home, but NZ wasn't in that much of a back water for nothing to be happening!!Your Dresden looks amazing, your quilter is going to be super busy catching up there! Your postcards are wonderful!

Allie said...

I do remember - I believe we watched it in school! Love your flowerville quilt, and those darling postcard blocks!!

Susan said...

I remember - I was in High School and we all congregated in the quadrangle and heard- and may have seen a smallish screen . . .
Great progress on your postcards - even if you feel you are behind.

Janice said...

There was quite a bit of hype about the moon landing anniversary around here, what with "The Dish" being just up the road. Your mornings of stitching have proved very productive. Flowerville looks lovely and soft. I wonder when that quilter of yours will make an appearance? LOL It sounds like you have had a lot of fun trying out your new soup recipes. A perfect winter's occupation.

Cheryll said...

I know exactly where I was too... such an exciting time really.
Love ALL your stitching & sewing as well...xox

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I was five months old and probably in PNG :) Love your stitcheries, they're looking so good! xx

Raewyn said...

Well done on the Flowerville flimsy finish - very lovely! I didn't remember anything about the moon landing but Mum (who was staying recently) said we went next door to Nanny and Grandpa's - they had a TV, we didn't - us kids went to bed while the adults watched the landing! And it was Dad's birthday so I guess they were in celebratory mode!! On the news the other week (I'm behind in my blog reading!) There was a lot of talk about the speedy trip by a plane and news reels from Australia to NZ so that we could get to see it 'live' here - I think we were about 3-4 hours behind or something!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>