Monday, March 6, 2017

A Splendid TaDa.........


This last week my machine sewing has concentrated on the sashing and corner stones for my Splendid Sampler....


Finally on Sunday I got all the sashing together.... very pink!!!


I added a 3" border which has more blue and a bit of pink - not easy to see here 


the colours also don't show just how pink it is.... much softer in the pictures...


It's quite a big quilt 84" square......

I love pictures with the sunlight filtering through pieced blocks....


The Splendid Sampler was generously hosted by Jane Davidson and Pat Sloan with input from 80 designers to provide 2 free blocks a week over the last year.  A book is now available for pre-order.

So fun sewing cyberly with people all over the world... and I was lucky enough to sew physically once a week with Lyn and Christine as we all made the quilt blocks together.


As it happens I did a few of the bonus blocks... and I have quite a bit of leftover fabrics - I think another pieced backing may be called for????

In the meantime this kit which I have had for many years has been pulled out.... Gardeners Journal


As much as I am loving doing my Dutch Treat blocks I like a break to do my favourite backstitch stitcheries.....

Righto, Gotto Go.... scraps to cut into blocks!!! hmmmmmm the madness resumes

28 comments:

sunny said...

It's gorgeous!! I love the soft colors that you used. So many projects, so little time . . .

Raewyn said...

Wow and well done Fiona - it looks beautiful! Have fun with your backing :-)

Sheila said...

Congratulations on your Splendid Sampler finish , that is awesome and it looks just beautiful. Have fun with your new project .

marina said...

WOW!! Looks amazing fiona, a big well done.
Lovely new project too!

Linda said...

Just gorgeous! Love the pink!

Chantal said...

Congratulations Fiona! Your top is awesome. Love the blue border. It does keep the pink in check and regroup the entire quilt. Excellent work. Enjoy the newest madness in your sewing room. ;^)

Jennifer said...

Very splendiferous indeed! I join you in your sigh of relief......you must be feeling very proud.

Susan said...

Admiration for getting it all done and a flimsy...I know your Gardeners Journal will keep you busy and be lovely.

kiwikid said...

Fiona, that looks amazing!!! Well done! You have taken on another big challenge!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

OMG 😲 😲😲😲fantastic amazing 😲😲😲

Jeanette said...

Oh so beautiful Fiona. 😍😍

Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona ,wow this quilt is awesome ,love it so much work has gone into this,cant wait to see your start on Gardner's Journal,well done my friend xx

Anthea said...

Fiona, oh I'm so happy for you with getting that Splendid Sampler together! Very pretty choice with the sashing, cornerstones & border... & soon you will work your magic with the quilting. SPLENDID work!

KaHolly said...

Gosh, it's pretty! Good job keeping up! XO

Allie-oops Designs said...

Splendidly gorgeous, Fiona!!!! Love the border and sashing fabrics with it, just perfect!

Christine M said...

Your quilt looks amazing, Fiona. The pink sashing is very pretty. Well done! xxx

Louise said...

Wow, it really turned out beautifully! The pale pink and blue look great with the blocks. I can't wait to see this one all quilted up. What are you thinking for the quilting, with all those different blocks?

The Sloan Patch said...

Wow, looks fantastic...love the soft colours. Don't you just love Anni Downs' stitcheries. I love having some traced and ready to go...they are so relaxing.

Karen S said...

Well done with your splendid sampler! Beautiful work getting it all together and looking wonderful. Smart move to use the fabric for the backing again, otherwise it sits there with no purpose! Yay!!!

Kathleen said...

I'm impressed that you kept up with the Splendid Sampler and now have a completed quilt! I'm only doing the pieced and some of the applique blocks and still have 8 blocks to go. You've inspired me to get back to it.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Just fabulous! Well done. The pink is so pretty. NOW! You DID TELL ME NOT to let you go crazy over another pieced backing lol! But hey you are so good at them!

Janet said...

Lovely! I like the pale pink. Doesn't it look lovely with the light shining through. Too bad quilts lose that feature when they are all done...

Helen said...

Wow fabulous !!!

Fiona said...

thanks so much Kathleen. I tried to email but you are a 'no reply' so I hope this comes to you. It's worth keeping going with the blocks... they are so different and fun....
Hugz

Lin said...

Your SS top is looking so splendid!! Beautiful and well done to get it all together so quickly. xx

Jane said...

it looks wonderful, can't wait to see you work your quilting magic on it

Chookyblue...... said...

Splendidly beatiful......
And you will love gardeners journal.....

newsurfiegirl said...

Your splendid sampler is gorgeous! Have fun making that pieced back!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>