Monday, January 2, 2017

Trapunto Whole cloth .....


I started this whole cloth done Quilt As You Go before 2013 - it was one of  my early learning to quilt projects and I sewed it all on my small basic Janome ..... not sure of the make but it cost under $300 which is indicative - not computerised and only a few stitches... but I could quilt with it....



The pattern is designed by Keryn Emmerson.  I very much enjoyed doing these and I know the designs will come in use for quilting other projects too....

It was a great way to practice free motion as there are a number of different designs but on small pieces.


Besides practicing quilting I was also interested in doing some simple trapunto ....

The reason this has been so long waiting to be finished is that I didn't do the sashing as per the pattern and was finding it difficult to join the quilt centre into the border frame (quilted in one large square frame)

These two pieces needed to be butted together and sewn over with my 1/2" binding sashing....


.... but with sorting out my projects I find I need this drawer!!!!


... so after a full day of fiddling the border is on.... it's a bit wavy so once it's all sewn I will give it a soak and lay it flat... that should help....


... as you can see I'm sewing the binding ....  it will be finished soon!!!

Righto, Gotto Go.....

14 comments:

  1. Amazing! No wonder you are a legend if this was a piece you did whilst learning. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy i agree with Michelle,what an amazing piece,you are very clever my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovele quilt Fiona ... can't wait to see why you needed an empty ddaw :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine quilting like that on a small machine, I'd love to learn but I think I would end up with many more UFO's to work on if I did! Great work getting it to this point can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of trapunto and love the idea of a whole cloth quilt, using the designs as the pattern.
    Yours looks beautiful.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you!! It looks like this was a great fmq learning exercise and now you almost have an empty drawer - well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very pretty! Isn't it funny how inspiration strikes? Emptying a drawer in my studio would be an amazing increase in storage space...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on you for sticking with it, it looks amazing!!So what is going in the empty drawer now??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a lot of time has been invested into that project. So worth the extra time spent to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is interesting the way we put things off until we really have to it, and then it just works!! Why is that?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by.... If you have time I would love to hear from you and I do love a chat so I reply whenever I can ... if you don't hear back from me you may be a no reply or anonymous.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>